Duck Decoy Spread Placement

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Duck Decoy Spread Placement

Postby JonnyDollar » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 pm

I have been back into waterfoul hunting for the last 6 years now and in the past I have always just used mallard decoys or whatever species decoy I would pick up somewhere. I finally invested in a couple different sets of decoys for the 2013 season. I now have pintails, widgeons, green-wing teals, and ringnecks to go along with my mallards, but now I have a question about the placement of my decoys. With all the different species would I randomly place them in my spread or separate them by species? Maybe just separate the pintails and the rest random?
I appreciate any advice and thanks in advance. :smile:

This picture here would be a typical early season spread for me.

JonnyDollar
hunter

Re: Duck Decoy Spread Placement

Postby Fowl'in up NORTH » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 am

What are you seeing while scouting in your area? I would try a loose wide V with the majority of my mallards in the kill hole and my sub species towards the outer fringes so they are more visible to ducks that would care.
Fowl'in up NORTH
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:10 am

Go with what your gut tells you. I've seen many multi-specie groups on the water, and looked at even more photos, and they are usually all mixed up. When a flock first lands, they'll be a segregated group, but they soon intermingle with the other species already on the water.
What I do is keep the species in their own areas, but in the 'edges' of each "group", I'll mix a few birds up so there aren't sharp delineations between species. Do the birds even care? Probably not, but I do.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 am

I would reccomend putting pairs and small groups of decoys together and put some all by themselves. The problem with the picture that I am seeing is all your decoys are perfectly spread out from eachother. It you watch ducks they are very social and close to eachother and running into eachother at times. With them spread out like that it looks to unnatural to me. I will mix differnt species of ducks together but always keep them in a general area. For instance I wobt put all my teal decoys on one side of thr spread and then throw one on the complete opposite side of the spread. I might seperate a pair from the main group. I would reccomend watching ducks on a refuge or even pictures of mixed species of ducks.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby JonnyDollar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 pm

That is all great advice and I appreciate it, Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

I usually scout out my areas in late summer but where I hunt the fields don't have as much water in them (if any) until November. But what I am seeing are the non-migrant birds that are here year round, which are Mallards, Shovelers, and a few Teals. From what I could tell from those species, is they were mixed together. But I never do see any pintails, I have shot them, but never seen any out scouting....
JonnyDollar
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:23 am

It's been my experience there is never really a rhyme nor reason to Teal. They'll land with just about anything and everything. Up on the other end of the state (Whidbey Island), it is like people have said. The ducks fly segragated, but intermix after landing. I would try a couple pairs of different species on the edges (to make your kill hole), with a communal group right in front of you.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum