De-gloss paint?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

De-gloss paint?

Postby Weedwacker » Sat May 04, 2013 6:06 am

Has anyone ever used denatured alcohol to take a bit of gloss or shine off your decoys?

Read a few articles that state your can wipe lightly over paint and create a dull finish?

Just wondering, I am going to pick up some today and try it out.

Thanks
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: De-gloss paint?

Postby Justin Weber » Sat May 04, 2013 8:56 am

Wouldnt it be easier to get paint thats flat right out of the can.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat May 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Weedwacker wrote:Has anyone ever used denatured alcohol to take a bit of gloss or shine off your decoys?

Read a few articles that state your can wipe lightly over paint and create a dull finish?

Just wondering, I am going to pick up some today and try it out.

Thanks

Bump.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 am

Are you talking about plastics or decoys that you've carved and painted? I know different things can be added to oil paint to get different finishes.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 pm

To clarify , I wanted to decrease the shine on Krylon matte finish applied after painted.

The alcohol worked just fine, just took the bit of shine off without hurting the matte coating for protection. Didn't make it flat, but took a little of the shine off, perfect :beer:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 pm

That's good to know !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum