ducks to coots.

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

ducks to coots.

Postby stealfeathers » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm

I picked up a bunch of cheap teal from academy sports on sale. I want to make them in to coots. Not really the same size as a coot but i dont think it really matters. Also, not that it matters but i want to think of a way to transform the teals bill to a beak. Such as you would see on a coot. I dont think such detail is neccassary but i want to try it for my own satisfaction. Have read about people changing bills to beaks but it never explains how. Then common sense, ill spray em black with white beaks ( if i can figure it out ) then clear cot them. If you have done this before, or have an idea let me know please . Thank you
stealfeathers
hunter

Re: ducks to coots.

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Probably easier to just buy coot decoys for the $30 or whatever they are. But to change a bill....wood rasp? And make sure it won't fill with water.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 am

I would just paint them all black and then paint the white bill and red stripe on the top of the decoy bill. By the time the ducks are close enough to know the difference you will be shooting them.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby loon » Thu May 09, 2013 4:07 pm

I am like you I enjoy messing with my decoys and they have to be as perfect as I can get them. I made some hooded mergansers out of Woodduck decoys i use a two part epoxy puttythey sell at my local Home Depot I used it to enlarge the crest on the decoy and I cut the bill off and used a hardwood dowel down the hole to give it support for the hoody bill this stuff is rock hard and permanent in only 5min so you have to work fast but otherwise it's like playing with play dough. I Have used it to do the hoodies and I have made herters blue bills into surf scoters and it has lasted for several seasons so far without any problems and holds paint well without any problems . Speaking of play dough when I was doing the blue bill to scoter transformation I practiced with my kids playdough to get the "look" I wanted before I did it for real with epoxy
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby stealfeathers » Fri May 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Thank you loon, that was the response i was looking for. Heres some bufflies i did out of the academy teal. Im going to try the epoxy for coots, i painted one with no bill to beak transformation and it just doesnt look right. Thanks for the response
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 pm

I just repainted some old decoys black with white bills. Put a layer of clear on and was done with it. Held up well.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue May 14, 2013 10:27 am

Those decoys look very shiny. Were they wet when you took the picture? If not I would find some flat black and white paint and redo those. That much shine is going to flare birds on a sunny day.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Yes they are wet in the pic. It is flat paint. Tnks though!
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 am

I painted a bunch of coots from flambeau mallards. They have great big white beaks. It didn't seem to flare ducks this past season. I asked on DHC and everyone said not to worry. I wanted to copy exactly what I was seeing on the refuge I hunt. So I made a raft of coots and stuck some divers all around them. Worked amazingly on divers.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum