Decoy paint? Worth repainting?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Decoy paint? Worth repainting?

Postby Ducksnuff870 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:00 am

I see parkers non UV paint on the web for sale. Any other decoy paint out there? I have 3 dozen or so old carry lites that need paint. We tried reapinting once upon a time. The paint peeled off on the 1st hunt.
Ducksnuff870
hunter

Re: Decoy paint? Worth repainting?

Postby Rick Hall » Mon May 20, 2013 8:32 am

The old Carrylites were awful for slipping paint, supposedly because they were a slick, recycled plastic. Don't know about the later, of if passing a flame over them to burn out surface oils would help adhesion. Might get paint to stick if first primed with something like Bulldog Adhesion Promoter, but that's pretty expensive treatment for a poorly made decoy...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon May 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Wire brush them. Hit them with Simple Green. Then wash with Dawn Soap and Water. Put two thin coats of Rustoleum Spray on Bedliner on them. Use Rustoleoum outdoor flat paint on them. Paint the fine details with acrylics. Over spray with two coats of Krylon Matt Clear.

If I were you I would just stop at the black coating and put them around the edges of your decoys spread to increase visibility, or put them all together in a tight pod in your spread to look like Coots. Both work great and save you the headache of painting the decoys.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Ducksnuff870 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Wire brush them. Hit them with Simple Green. Then wash with Dawn Soap and Water. Put two thin coats of Rustoleum Spray on Bedliner on them. Use Rustoleoum outdoor flat paint on them. Paint the fine details with acrylics. Over spray with two coats of Krylon Matt Clear.

If I were you I would just stop at the black coating and put them around the edges of your decoys spread to increase visibility, or put them all together in a tight pod in your spread to look like Coots. Both work great and save you the headache of painting the decoys.

I kinda agree they are a pain to paint and they were i think $30 per dozen back when.
Ducksnuff870
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum