Duck flocking or painting

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

What's the best option?

Flocking
47%
UV paint
12%
Normal paint
41%

Total votes : 17

Duck flocking or painting

Postby Outta shells » Fri May 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Hello everyone. I've been looking at this site for the last year or so, but this is my first post. I'm going to repaint my decoys again this year and wanted so input on the mallard heads. I used green Home Depot paint last year with some black detailing and it looked good, but I was thinking of doing something different this year. I've read all the post on here about flocking ( which looks awesome) and uv paint (bird vision uv, maybe good maybe bad) I'm leaning toward the flocking from aero outdoors with hunter green rustoleum as " glue ". Does anyone have any last thoughts or suggestions before I pull the trigger. Ideas in flocking type/brand, best place to buy, arguments for or agains UV paint or flocking. I WANT ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE and PAST EXPERIENCE!!!! Tell me everything
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Outta shells
hunter

Re: Duck flocking or painting

Postby Justin Weber » Fri May 24, 2013 6:46 pm

If it was me I would just paint them. Im not a total believer in the UV thing but it might not be a bad idea. By the way those look really good.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat May 25, 2013 11:42 am

If you decide to flock I would also check Donjer dba Flock it for prices.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sat May 25, 2013 4:21 pm

noweil wrote:If you decide to flock I would also check Donjer dba Flock it for prices.

Here's the new website (page) for that: http://www.flockit.com/index.php/produc ... e-tex.html

Whether you flock or paint, first get ALL of that flaking paint off or you're just spinning your wheels. I flock everything. Others hate it. If you start flocking you're going to also have to learn how to airbrush. Just keep that in mind.

Prep work is the key to success. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Outta shells » Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks for the info. I checked out the web site but might still be leaning toward the aero outdoors stuff. Ive seen pictures of decoys done with that flocking and they look really good. Do you have any pictures of yours with the flocking from the website you mentioned? I do have an air brush so thats not a big deal. And I understand on the prep work. i messed up last time i painted by not sanding enough paint off and thats why Im painting them all again so soon. Also, did you see any difference in how the ducks decoyed with flocked decoys? Again, thanks for the info.
Outta shells
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 pm

I personally use the flocking from Donjer with no problems. Just make sure you keep your paint wet and thick ( just before running) when you are flocking. If it starts to dry the flocking wont adhere nearly as good if at all. Pm if you have anymore questions.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 am

Give me a couple weeks and I will. Used up all my stuff from Aero and then ordered from Flockit. MUCH cheaper than Aero when ordered in 5lb quantities. As far as material comparison, it looks identical to me.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Outta shells » Thu May 30, 2013 9:59 am

Mean gene, A couple pictures comparing the aero outdoors and the flockit material would be great. I know that aero has two colors of green (emerald 305 & custom emerald mix with long shinny fibers 306). What did you use? Also, how many decoys can you do with 1lb of flocking? 5lbs sounds like a lot! I'm planning on doing around 40-45 green heads.
Outta shells
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu May 30, 2013 1:48 pm

I didn't get any of the green this time. I got goose gray and feather brown. If you're just doing the heads, then a pound of green will be more than enough. I thought the green from Aero was an excellent color. I've done about 50 decoys with the green and still quite a bit left...bought a pound the first time. I got the stuff with the long fibers. If you're just going to do the heads, then get the green from Aero in a 1 lb quantity. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby kbooger » Thu May 30, 2013 2:52 pm

When I flocked the heads on my mallards I used donjer and the green is very green. I mixed it w/ black and it looked a ton better.
kbooger
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:17 am

A pound of flocking will go a long way if you make a way to recover the flocking you don't get on your decoy. Doing the flocking over a large plastic tub will help. I use 4 colors, black, feather brown, goose grey, and white. I've done just about every species on every brand of decoy with those four colors. You do need to be able to use an airbrush. I get all my flocking from Flockit so I can get the bulk discount. Use a respirator when applying flocking, a simple dust mask is not sufficient, do not flock in the house regardless of the type of glue you are using. You need to be in a dead calm area to flock or you will lose a lot of your material. These were all flocked with the four basic colors of flocking I mentioned, then airbrushed.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby Outta shells » Fri May 31, 2013 6:00 pm

Woodduck,
Those look amazing! Am not sure however i want to take on the task of doing full body with flocking. I have about 130 decoys to paint and a boat blind to build so that should be enough to keep me busy. On the scaup did you shade the whole head to get it that dark, or just mix the flocking colors. Also, what glue do you use. I was planing on just using paint. Is that a bad idea?
Outta shells
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Are you kidding me?
Woodduck isn't a duck hunter first, he's an artist that hunts ducks.
When I see those images he's posted, I'm thinking the guy has the same genes in his make-up that produced the old master decoy builders from a hundred and fifty years ago. At least he puts the same care into detail as far as he wishes to take it.

That's how you "feed the passion" thru the whole year. Glad to see the heritage still continues.
Good job woodduck!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:00 am

couldnt agree more they sure are an art form. great job, Ive never even seen those body positions over here they are just awesome.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 am

there is a lot of value in just having a decoy spread that looks different than the last 30 decoy spreads a duck has survived flying through. Having decoys that are flocked or partially flocked gives them a different look and has been very effective for us. Having decoys that have a variety of poses can help by showing activities that ducks expect to see in certain areas. Feeding poses, resting poses and other activities can give the illusion of movement just as silhouettes can as apposed to the standard poses we get in plastics. When I first started making my own decoys 10 years ago my objective wasn't to increase the number of decoys I was using, but to put poses in my spread that weren't available by the regular decoy companies.

I am an artist first, but tend to do a lot of duck decoys since it pays most of my bills. I am primarily a wood carver and used to do a lot of competitions 20 years ago. Bear hunting is what consumes most of my days in the field, quite frankly I am too busy to do much duck hunting anymore.

most of my carving career has been in fish and animal carving, I have a passion for a wide range of wildlife art.

If it's made out of wood around the house, I'm going to carve and paint something on it. My wife still seems to enjoy this kind of stuff since our decor is very cabinish.

about the only waterfowl stuff I did prior to 10 years ago were decorative flyers like these.

These are some of my competition carvings.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:42 pm

awesome thank you for shareing those. you are a master of your art :bow: :bow:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Elvis Kiwi, do you happen to get NZ Hunter magazine? There is an article in the february/march 2013 issue that features several decoys that my son has flocked and painted. He has flocked and painted hundreds of decoys for people in New Zealand this year.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 pm

I will have a look. Im sure Ive got it somewhere.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:20 am

found them....yip they sure are nice decoys..they make my humble effort to repaint look pityful :thumbsup:
dont know if Im game to post up any pictures you fellas may fall of the computer chairs laughing :huh: :biggrin:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Outta shells » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:10 am

Hey everyone, just an update. I did end up going with the green from aero and some black. I've been busy turning a bunch of old mallards into blue bills with the black flocking and it's going we'll. I will post some pictures of my decoys soon. A few more questions though. Mean green, you said you used the green from aero in the past, what did I you use as glue? I've been using flat black rustoleum for the scaup and that's great, but not sure if I should use satin hunter green or flat black as the glue. Not sure how much color will show through and what will look best. Any suggestions.??? :help:
Outta shells
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum