Duck Hunting Forum banner

Decoy buying advice for saltmarsh

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  scupbarron 
#1 ·
I'm looking to add some full body/shell mallards to my spread for more visibility...something that stakes on top the marsh or at waters edge ..maybe with a little movement in a breeze, . What brand/model would be my best bet for this application. Dont need many. For floaters I like the G&H for there durability but they have limited selection as far as field type ducks. there full bodies dont appear to have stakes and look like they'd blow over. Would there field shell mallards work for this ?

#2 ·
there shells would work. They also sell extention stakes for slightly deeper water.

I run ghg for my fullbody ducks at the moment. If its real mucky ya may need to make your own stakes regardless of decoy co you go with.

Never ran any of these but they seem to be decent. Higdon makes a nice looking product. Tangle Free(I dont care for there paint scheme, but they also off diff species). Dakota( they look like they got into some hog feed).

#4 ·
scupbarron said:
Thanks, didnt know they made long stakes for the G&H. wish they were magnum shells but 16" not too bad. like the looks of the GHG full bodies you use though. Saw magnum sized ones for 86 bucks for 6 at wingsupply
If the bold is a question I dont mind them. Better than alot i have seen and I like the base system they use. it easy to make longer versions yourself for deeper water or heavy much. They stoped making the oversized ones which i liked the best. I have a handful of them and just picked up a doz of there newer ones, and I would rather have the old ones(personally). You can swap out the heads on the oversized ones where the new version is fixed and the deeks itself is much smaller.

#5 ·
Leaning towards the made in USA G&H shells after thinking about it as a dozen wont take much space. i hunt outa a square stern canoe or kayak when not going far. A dozen mallard floaters , 4 floaster black ducks plus a dozen floater geese when use the canoe gets crowded. A dozen shells will pepper the marsh and shoreline well.

#6 ·
Blue collar decoys are made in the USA and they have extended stakes for deep water. Plus you can customize your pack to how ever many you want and what head position you want. They probably have the best paint scheme and I have heard the have great customer service not to mention the multiple species to choose from.

#7 ·
OregonSpeck85 said:
Blue collar decoys are made in the USA and they have extended stakes for deep water. Plus you can customize your pack to how ever many you want and what head position you want. They probably have the best paint scheme and I have heard the have great customer service not to mention the multiple species to choose from.
...unfortunately outa stock on mallards, look great though. i'll check back there in future

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.