slow hunting

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

slow hunting

Postby presduc1 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:58 pm

:oops: :x dsi. I am more than a little upset about the condition of the hunting in South Arkansas. We always killed ducks since I started hunting in 76. I never knew you could go hunting and not kill alimit of ducks untill three years ago. I hunt everyday exept Sunday and I have not killed 14 ducks in three years. I just want to know if anyone else has had the same problem or is it just us hunting public land in Arkansas? Thanks
presduc1
Newb

Postby pullman41 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:38 pm

It's not you it's the migration. There's less birds, and they're wintering in other areas. I'm hoping it's a cycle that'll change.
pullman41
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:17 am

wow (ouch) only 14 birds in the last three years!!!?????????

I doubt I could handle that. I'm not trying to rub in anything - but that level of action would force me to relocate or at least travel ALOT.

You could look at it this way....I was out this week in below freezing temps and didn't get a shot! For 10 hours I was out there and the cold was into my bones by the time I got home. Water temp is about 40. At the end of this week the mercury will probably not get out of the teens in the day and will be sub zero at night.

I think our birds and hot action from early december is heading south again and for the rest of the winter. Hope for your sake they head down your way and provide you with the same action we had.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lanky » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:07 pm

No problem here in MO guess were shoot'em all before they make to ya. total 86 ducks for this year hope you don't have a dog poor thing may kill it's self.
Keep your eyes to the sky, put that in your pipe and smoke it.
lanky
Newb

Postby tnduckhunter » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:21 am

You aren't the only one with slow hunting. I hunt in NW TN on private land and only killed five this year
tnduckhunter
Newb

Postby TexasT-ler » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:55 pm

It's been slow for the last couple of years, but that is just the excuse I need to work all the harder scouting to find em. When you hunt as much public area as I do, you will find that scouting and knowing where those few ducks want to be is really the only thing that separates the successful hunter from the skunked and occassionaly lucky ones.

I am ready for it to return to a more normal state as far as the migrations go. really tired of seeing the ducks stop up north and not come on to the coast like they are supposed to.
here to roost awhile.......
TexasT-ler
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:34 pm

there is planned to be a cold cold winter this year, maybe that will send more ducks your way.
texan68
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:45 pm

well a good winter will help us all. my dad is up in the dakotas all year long and he said last year the bird really judt never left tell really late. As for me at least I did great last yeare no complaints here. But hey good luck to you hope it picks up :thumbsup:
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby whitegamehunter1 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:37 pm

Yeah, well I'm lucky if i can get ten ducks in a season. It's pretty tough duck hunting up here in Maine. I only got 5 last year but that was limited hunting. Although i didn't get a banded black duck.
whitegamehunter1
hunter

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:15 pm

Before I started hunting ND I had never shot a limit of ducks my entire life. I'm a born and bred Minnesotan and all I know is that the duck season has been going down hill since before I can even remember. If me and my hunting buddies came out of a season with a grand total of ONE limit accumulated, that was considered good. All I know is that in Minnesota one of the biggest factors to the lack of consistant ducks is an increasing loss in suitable habitat. We are the "land of 10,000 lakes," but we're losing more, and more of our small, shallow bodies of water every year. These are the primary nesting grounds and pit stops for the migrating ducks and since there aren't many, the ducks keep moving west. Now, I hunt North Dakota and I always have a good time. The reason why? Habitat!!! and lots of it! I hope that the ducks start to come around for you southern boys and for my home state, but that will be in a big part due to the efforts of land owners and our own contributions as hunters to these areas that we hunt

just my $0.02 :thumbsup:
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:43 pm

I find now , that the local birds (consisting mostly of Mallards) don't even leave my area of southern wisconsin, nor do the geese! The good thing about that is you can see tons of birds, but unless you can hunt the local parks and golf courses or have access to any of the private land that the birds feed or roost on, you're probably not going to shoot too many birds. Last year the "true" fall migration did'nt even happen until the last week of our season, which was (if I can remember correctly) the first weekend in December. This is becoming more and more common with the warmer winters here in wisconsin. Global warming is definately not good news for people living in the southern states that used to have the reputation as "the place to hunt". As far as my season went, I don't count ducks but I do count boxes of shells, and went through 11 boxes of shells, and happen to be a pretty good shot. We are shooting more ducks and geese every year, and if my theory holds true maybe wisconsin, Illinoise, Michigan, and even Minnesota will be "the place to hunt" sorry about your luck. Maybe this year the rivers will freeze up in November and you'll have a season of yesteryear! Wings cupped! Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Musselman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:20 pm

The last three years on the west side of michigan has been the best ever. I have seen more mallards the last three years than every before and the wood duck population here is insane. The only thing affecting how many ducks i kill is the limit because for opener the only thing around will be teals and woodys but come late october early november the sky will be full of mallards untill early january.
Musselman
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum