Cabelas done with GHG and Avery products?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Cabelas done with GHG and Avery products?

Postby Wisconsincheese » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 am

I was on the Cabelas on-line site yesterday and noticed that they no longer offer any GHG decoys (duck or goose) or Avery products (field blinds, blind bags, etc..). Someone must have pissed someone off.

Maybe now they can start making the Herters decoys again!
Wisconsincheese
hunter

Re: Cabelas done with GHG and Avery products?

Postby Ga ducker » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:18 am

They have them, you just have to type "Greenhead Gear" into the search bar.
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby Wisconsincheese » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 am

You are right; they are there on the search but not listed in the duck decoy category as they used to be. The selection is slim and they are all marked down on sale as if they are dumping the remaining inventory. You can't find an avery finisher or power hunter blind.
Wisconsincheese
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:39 pm

There was a post on this a while back. Cabelas will no longer sell their stuff.
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=223900
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:19 am

Just got the Cabela's waterfowl preseason catalog. Nothing from Avery/GHG. Nice. Glad they finally dropped that junk from their stores and online catalog.

My wife and I have a list. We call it the: "If I ever meet the person that designed this thing, I'm gonna punch him in the face - list"

Basically every product we've ever bought from Avery is on that list. Overpriced junk.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:22 am

waveslider wrote:Just got the Cabela's waterfowl preseason catalog. Nothing from Avery/GHG. Nice. Glad they finally dropped that junk from their stores and online catalog.

My wife and I have a list. We call it the: "If I ever meet the person that designed this thing, I'm gonna punch him in the face - list"

Basically every product we've ever bought from Avery is on that list. Overpriced junk.

I like their blind bags and I used to have a few gloves and hats that have served a lot of years. But as far as their decoys, I absolutely hate them. Most of them are now painted black and white and are more durable than before as far as paint.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:56 pm

I just got Cabela's Waterfowl Sneak Peek catalog....no GHG decoys in it.
Too bad, I like GHG ProGrades. Looks like I'll be ordering out of MPW this year....
mudpack
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 pm

I was wondering where the GHG stuff was in the cabelas sneak peak catalog......now I see why!
yamaha783
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:37 am

Yeah and the real image mallards Ghg used to make for cabelas. Hard core makes those now haha.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Avery really seems to be pushing their "smaller" decoys now. It may be a matter of economics.... Rather than increasing the price on thier standard size decoy they downsize the decoy and use the same price point. Very common marketing tactic. maybe Cabelas didn't like the idea .......or...... since Bigfoot now came out with B-2 size snows and specks they may be hanging their hat on being the exclusive dealer of those............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:20 pm

I did find it odd, when I recently traveled to Cabelas, that no GHG or Avery products were in stock and when I went to the online catalog station, only a few items showed up as in stock, or even showed up at all.
I doubt Avery is going out of business. They're one of the biggest waterfowl gear companies there is.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:24 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Avery really seems to be pushing their "smaller" decoys now. It may be a matter of economics.... Rather than increasing the price on thier standard size decoy they downsize the decoy and use the same price point. Very common marketing tactic. maybe Cabelas didn't like the idea .......or...... since Bigfoot now came out with B-2 size snows and specks they may be hanging their hat on being the exclusive dealer of those............

There smart. They down size the decoys to a "life size" and not making that many magnums or marketing them as much. Because those die hard Ghg guys that build there spread would have to buy a hell of a lot more to fill the gaps. Like the ducks for example: you can use 2 dozen fb magnums and be good on ducks, now the new life size you would have to use 3-4 dozen.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby kwebb58 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:40 am

Cabelas is no longer carrying Avery or ghg, because they're making a similar product with their northern flight plus decoys, they did the same thing with drake camo and the northen flight camo, the only reason I know this is because I work there, holler if you got any questions
kwebb58
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 am

I've also wondered if availability wasn't an issue. Avery really "screwed the pooch" with availability issues last year and it is rumored that this year isn't going to be any better. With a limited time frame for use, hunters are not going to wait around if one brand isn't available.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby noose374 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:35 pm

kwebb58 wrote:Cabelas is no longer carrying Avery or ghg, because they're making a similar product with their northern flight plus decoys, they did the same thing with drake camo and the northen flight camo, the only reason I know this is because I work there, holler if you got any questions

Yeah, I was in Cabelas today and saw this first hand. It's kind of like Bass Pro with the RedHead deks.
noose374
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:26 pm

What decoy? The NFs do not look like ghg
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby kwebb58 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:31 pm

NF are trying to look like ghgs. No comparison IMO
kwebb58
hunter

Postby noose374 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Is Academy going to carry GHG this year? They had a few last year, but now all that I see is Game Winner...
noose374
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:38 pm

noose374 wrote:Is Academy going to carry GHG this year? They had a few last year, but now all that I see is Game Winner...

I think their majority decoy in stock is the Game Winner decoy brand.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby noose374 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:29 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
noose374 wrote:Is Academy going to carry GHG this year? They had a few last year, but now all that I see is Game Winner...

I think their majority decoy in stock is the Game Winner decoy brand.

Yeah, thats what it looks like. Dicks has GHG/Avery on the shelvs now.
And, Geaux Tigers!
noose374
hunter

Postby macmn3 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 pm

ive heard cabela's isn't carrying GHG anymore because they were not filling orders nationwide last year and cabela's has had enough
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:45 am

Not quite true there fellers, way more to it than most of you know. It was a mutual decision by the high ups at both companies, and had nothing to do with filling orders. Both companies agreed to take a break from one another, who knows what the future will bring... :beer:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:10 pm

SPatrick wrote:Not quite true there fellers, way more to it than most of you know. It was a mutual decision by the high ups at both companies, and had nothing to do with filling orders. Both companies agreed to take a break from one another, who knows what the future will bring... :beer:

When the partnership is beneficial to both, that is a dumb business plan, when it is beneficial to only one, only then it is a smart move for the losing party.

I call BS on your statement.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:43 pm

No BS.....
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum