Texas Rig Ideas

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Texas Rig Ideas

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Sooooo, I'm gonna make some rigs for a couple dozen birds and I need ideas. I understand the basic rigging concept and how to compile it, but my problem is that I will be hunting deeper than average puddles. Mostly bay waters which can be 4ft or 8-10ft. I may go back and forth between lakes and the bay to so one day can be sand bottom the next could be vegetation. Should I make long lines and just deal with the excess line in shallower water or should I make basic 4ft lines and have extra lines on stand by and just attach them to the lines the dekes are already on? Also should I go with egg sinkers or triangle weights? Im kinda lost on which route I should take. :help:
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Re: Texas Rig Ideas

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:56 am

I have 5 foot line and carry extensions in my decoy bag incase I get into deep water. Egg sinkers are fine if you are hunting lakes, marsh, bay. I would say triangles if you are hunting flowing rivers which the eggs can roll.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:50 am

Cajun1085 wrote:I have 5 foot line and carry extensions in my decoy bag incase I get into deep water. Egg sinkers are fine if you are hunting lakes, marsh, bay. I would say triangles if you are hunting flowing rivers which the eggs can roll.

Can you explain what your extensions are?
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:54 pm

I would attatch your lines with snap swivels that they use for Texas rigs. Then you could just snap on your 4 ft lines for one hunt then change and snap on your 10 ft lines for the next hunt. You could use tangle free line and store them or hang them in your boat or whatever you hunt out of. Good luck!
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:I would attatch your lines with snap swivels that they use for Texas rigs. Then you could just snap on your 4 ft lines for one hunt then change and snap on your 10 ft lines for the next hunt. You could use tangle free line and store them or hang them in your boat or whatever you hunt out of. Good luck!

That's not a bad idea. I may go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 pm

I hunt the ole miss so for weight I just run a bigger sinker. I run about 3' of cord and back wrap another 3 to 4 feet. That way if needed you just let your back wrapped cord out. Pretty simple. Ill see if I can find a pick. I also don't use 400 mono. When u run longer length and more deeks 400 mono will tangle.
This is what I rig with
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail ... 195&catID=
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Texas rig is in essence a shallow water system (wading depth). Once you get beyond 5-6' it kind of loses it's effectiveness because you have to deal with so much line. While they are pretty much tangle free once the line gets long enough it increases the chances of it wrapping around the decoy when it is thrown. I run 2 different lengths and can switch them but even the 5-6" ones are more of a pain than the shorter ones.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:50 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Texas rig is in essence a shallow water system (wading depth). Once you get beyond 5-6' it kind of loses it's effectiveness because you have to deal with so much line. While they are pretty much tangle free once the line gets long enough it increases the chances of it wrapping around the decoy when it is thrown. I run 2 different lengths and can switch them but even the 5-6" ones are more of a pain than the shorter ones.

Ill keep that in mind. I have three dozen lead weights that need to be put to use. I may just end up using em on the divers and Texas rig my teal and some coots for the inshore lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum