Repainted Blacks

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Repainted Blacks

Postby sstermer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Since its summer and my dekes are starting to look bad I had kicked the idea of repainting them around, now I am on crutches and off work for a bit so no better time than the present. Besides we shot one up last winter, as pictured in background of the before pic.

Here is the before and after of my magnum blacks.

Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Re: Repainted Blacks

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:37 am

Intricate feather detail,..nice!

Check your bill color however.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:44 am

also are the speculums purple/blue on your blacks or are they dark green???
nice feather detail makes mine look shabby.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:45 am

"aint nobody got time for dat!"
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sstermer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:36 pm

I agree that the bill color is a bit dark and speculum colors are off but that's what came in the kit from parkers. I have a mallard kit coming from real wings and I may re-coat the speculum colors with that. I am going to let them cure for a month or so before I clear coat them with matte finish. :hi:
sstermer
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:55 pm

there is your answer=Parker paint-it's enamel-way too expensive and too shiny and colors are way off..Carving and competing since 1973--I did a rig like that -old Herters hard plastics-year 74..Well I lived in VT and Hunted Lake Champlain big water-we were on this Island near a vast exclusive private duck club- well my rig looked damn good-birds kept flaring we looked everywhere to find something amiss-then out of nowhere this boat came to us it was a Club keeper-keeping people off the private marsh-he saw we were kids and let us hunt-but he said the real reason he came by was to see -what the hell we painted so bright..my decoys..as he pointed out Parker paint sucks.heads way too light and the bodies too..they looked like neon signs -warned every duck with in miles-being I used oils I went to a mix of Dark brown and some black --FLAT colors ( oil over Latex-not Latex over oil_NEVER ),heads are a wet SAND color,bodies mix to the color of ( baked brownies ),,you don't need the feathering-by the time they see feathers -they should be dead on the water !! Do take the time to paint the lines on the heads-easy old time method-body paint heads then while still wet-tacky take a dull nail and make the little dark lines..paint in the eye stripe, bill should be olive drab-to some yellow for red legs..mix olive drab by Black and yellow ( cadmium )-now ive advanced -use the Kiss method-I use stricktly WAL_MArt exterior House Paint-12-15 a gallon..pints etc. FLAT FLAT FLAT !!-You can take some Real black duck feathers -head feathers and They will scan it for you and you will always have an ample supply--I get the paint samples square's to take home.--I paint all my duck boats and any gear that need painting with the same brand -cheap and lasts for 15 years-Now living in Maine hunting salt-all the lobsterman friends us it for buoys etc.-tough stuff LATEX-LATEX !!--easy clean up..your ducks will be belly up -if you can shoot ??I move here from the fingerlakes in 87-used the same there and always will --any more Questions PM me .. :thumbsup:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby sstermer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:43 am

Since this was my first time repainting any, I went the easy route. I will have to say that I do not notice any shine from the new paint, maybe they re-formulated since you used it some years ago. In fact, if you notice in the pictures that the factory paint job has more of a shine on it that the new paint.

As far as the feather detail, I have nothing but time since I am off from work for a few weeks. Keeps me busy and what the hell. :grooving:
sstermer
hunter

Postby bigbuckilla » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:09 am

Use all the advice above & dont spray clear coat on anything. just paint with the good flat exterior paint and let them be... the clear coat does nothing but mess up a good paint job. + I got a gliden exterior flat paint color called black duck body & it looks perfect.
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:59 am

good advice Doug !
I use Krylon dead FLAT clear coat, no shine if it's done right, and it helps protect your paint job, especially on white like on Buffies.
In m my humble opinion, there is nothing better than dark brown freezer cork for Blacks. Looks good dry, looks even better when wet. No paint, no noth'in !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum