Tanglefree Standard Mallards

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Tanglefree Standard Mallards

Postby tnhunter42 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Decided to try out some of these decoys when I ordered my GHG pro-grade blue wings and man are they TERRIBLE! I picked up a hen out of the box and was turning it in my hand when I noticed that everywhere my fingers touched left behind a black spot while my fingers were covered in flaky paint. I know these are cheap decoys, but they'd end up being coots by the end of opening weekend! I'd stay away, just my .02.
tnhunter42
hunter

Re: Tanglefree Standard Mallards

Postby tnhunter42 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Spoke with Tanglefree customer service today. I explained to them that the paint on all the hens was pretty much gone off the backs, the drake heads had a lot of blue on them, the drake tails had greenish grey splotches on them, and all but three decoys had a very hazy finish on them. Without even asking, they asked for some pictures emailed to them and said they would pay for the decoys to be shipped back and expected, and hopefully replaced. My respect for the Tanglefree company has now risen. It'll be even higher after I see how they handle this issue.
tnhunter42
hunter

Postby sstermer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:27 pm

I have a dozen of them and they look better after several years of abuse than my other dekes. Must have been a batch batch of paint or something. They are not the most realistic thing but work, they are my fillers for the late season now.
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:52 am

What year decoys are they because I know that the past 3 years they have had some "bad batches" but yes they have the best customer service bar none trust me they will hook you up and I am sorry about your decoys but you have a little bit until the season comes but I know just an inconvenience. You, I'm sure will be satisfied when they come back to you.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby tnhunter42 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:56 am

Turns out since I bought from a retailer, the decoys were actually about a year or so old. Like somebody above mentioned, Tanglefree had a chemical issue with their paint. Because of this, Tanglefree very graciously agreed to send me a new dozen free of charge. THAT'S customer service right there. Great company and I will continue to buy from them in the future. :clapping:
tnhunter42
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:22 am

Good to hear! :thumbsup:
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby tnhunter42 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Scratch that. I thought Tanglefree had me taken care of until they found out that I bought the decoys through Rogers Sporting Goods, then they pretty much washed their hands of me and handed me off to them. When I returned Rogers' customer service email, I haven't gotten a reply in almost a week. I told Tanglefree that I wasn't going to pay for shipping to and from Rogers (twenty dollars) just to get a new set of thirty dollar decoys (if I did I'd have thirty dollars in shipping and thirty dollars in awful decoys). Tanglefree asked for my order number and date purchased, but again have not emailed back in almost a week. I'm about to sand blast these things for coots and start spreading the awful word about Tanglefree, their decoys, and their potentially awful customer service :no: :no: :no: :fingerhead:
tnhunter42
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum