FA vs GHG

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

FA vs GHG

Postby OnTheFly7 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:04 am

I know there are a lot of deek manufacturers out there and that everyone will talk about their favorites. Also, there are more and more companies showing up every year (which I think will only make things better in terms of quality, durability, being realistic, etc.) so choosing a "brand" is becoming more difficult. Below, I have listed companies that I like for various reasons and I would love to hear responses from those who have used these products, both positive and negative.

Final Approach - I really like the looks of these decoys and they have a large selection in both duck and goose deeks.

GHG - Again, I like the looks of these and there is a great selection. Durability at times is in question, but that can be with any deek.

Avian-X - Look really good, not sure about durability, like the looks, lack of selection but they are newer.

Dakota - I like the looks, but I have not been impressed with customer service.

Tanglefree - The selection and looks seem to be getting better.

Hard Core 2013 - I am anxious as heck to see these and try them out!

Banded - Again, I am anxious to see these. They look nice, just lack selection as they are new.

Blue Collar - Damn nice deeks all around! Just want to see a larger selection

DSD - Awesome, just lack selection.

Can not wait to see your responses. Is the season here yet! :beer:
OnTheFly7
hunter

Re: FA vs GHG

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:38 am

Few questions... Have you used each of these brands? Have you used the FA full body mallards by any chance? I found 4 new for $50 and haven't decided to pull the trigger on them. And how about stormfronts? Anyone?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 am

in my opinion

FA- Too heavy for me to lug around.

GHG- Great looks, but you have to baby them due to their paint.

Avian-x- Great looks, great durability but SO EXPENSIVE

Dakota- Great all around. alittle pricey but worth it.

Blue collar- so expensive i wont even consider purchasing them

HC- i like the looks of them but i dont like how they are priced with more well known decoy companies when they havent really proved much.

WIth that being said, i have used and hunted over all of those except blue collar. at 799 a dozen i dont know how anybody could justify that.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:51 pm

I use GHG Pro-Grades and Avian-X decoys, primarily, with a dozen Storm Front Pintails filling out my GHG sprig rig. All are excellent decoys so far. (but been using the Avian-X and StormFronts only one season)

Used GHG Lifesize and Pro-Grades the previous years, with the usual paint issues on the LIfesize. The Pro-Grades seem to be holding up better than the Lifesize.

You'd think the intense competition in decoys would really help us out, but there are still a TON of makers who don't know what a duck actually looks like .... judging by their products. :rolleyes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:37 am

I suggest checking out Tanglefree. They have about any species you could ever want and they have fully flocked mallard floaters (Foam-Filled) and feeder full bodies. The flocking holds up great and for what you get the price isnt bad IMO they are the next best thing and I think will hold at that for awhile.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:17 pm

We have used a lot of Ghg dekes over the years- Lifesized Bluebills, Buffleheads and the prograde mallards and blackducks. The bufflheads have held up amazing over the years, and the blacks have held paint but I wasn't impressed with the mallards or Bluebills. But repainting the divers was an easy task!!

We also use a Dozen Fa Brand canvasbacks, in the picture on the websites the hens look amazing, but they weren't the same. The Cans looked good but paint didn't hold so well.

I also Have 6 avian x Feeding Canadian Geese. All have held paint, and I have been very impressed with them.

hope it helps!
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby OnTheFly7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 am

Black Smoke wrote:I suggest checking out Tanglefree. They have about any species you could ever want and they have fully flocked mallard floaters (Foam-Filled) and feeder full bodies. The flocking holds up great and for what you get the price isnt bad IMO they are the next best thing and I think will hold at that for awhile.

I will be looking at them more, however they do not offer the variety of say GHG and as for looks, they are not the worst, but they are not the best either. The "not bad for the price" saying is kind of like it tastes bad, but not too bad. I don't want not bad for the price, I want something that looks pretty darn close to the real bird, that lasts and that may not be inexpensive, but not break the bank either. Yeah, I know, its what we all want! :yes:
OnTheFly7
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:42 pm

OnTheFly7 wrote:
Black Smoke wrote:I suggest checking out Tanglefree. They have about any species you could ever want and they have fully flocked mallard floaters (Foam-Filled) and feeder full bodies. The flocking holds up great and for what you get the price isnt bad IMO they are the next best thing and I think will hold at that for awhile.

I will be looking at them more, however they do not offer the variety of say GHG and as for looks, they are not the worst, but they are not the best either. The "not bad for the price" saying is kind of like it tastes bad, but not too bad. I don't want not bad for the price, I want something that looks pretty darn close to the real bird, that lasts and that may not be inexpensive, but not break the bank either. Yeah, I know, its what we all want! :yes:

Tanglefree dosn't have the variety of ghg? Have you visited their website. They even make cinnimon teal...only company I know of that does that.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:49 pm

X2 :clapping:
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Eurasian Wigeon also, Full body Wigeon, Fully Flocked Mallards, etc.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby OnTheFly7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:15 pm

I have been on their site and I didn't say that they don't have a good selection, they just do not have as big of a selection. Two birds that come to mind right away are Buffleheads and Long Tails. Now these may not be common decoys, but they are out there and Tanglefree does not offer them. I am not saying it is a bad thing, or that Tanglefree has a poor selection, just stating that there are other deeks out there that they don't have.
OnTheFly7
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:44 pm

I have always been a fan of GHG...and always will be a fan for that matter. For me, there is no decoy that even comes close when it comes to realism...many have tried though. I personally have had very few issues (and Avery takes care of their customers) with my decoys and ALL decoys will show signs of wear and tear after several seasons. However, I am not rough with my decoys. I baby them and that probably helps a lot.

I have seen the results of what GHG duck decoys will do for me...and at the end of the day, I am confident I have the most realistic decoys on the market :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks for the non-biased opinion mayhem. Although I do use GHG floaters it's probably my last batch once these wear out. After that Dakota or avian. And in terms of fullbodys and realism I think almost everyone on here takes a handful of DSD over 4 dozen GHG.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:18 pm

No love for G&H guys? Paint jobs leave something to be desired, but the best plastic dekes I own. Strong plastic and dont dent easily like other brands. Paint holds up amazing and made in the USA. Best compromise between quality, durability, and price point.
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:39 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:Thanks for the non-biased opinion mayhem. Although I do use GHG floaters it's probably my last batch once these wear out. After that Dakota or avian. And in terms of fullbodys and realism I think almost everyone on here takes a handful of DSD over 4 dozen GHG.

I understand brother but for me, it's GHG all the way, every time :thumbsup:

I am also strictly talking about duck decoys :thumbsup:
Last edited by mayhem96 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:05 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:Thanks for the non-biased opinion mayhem. Although I do use GHG floaters it's probably my last batch once these wear out. After that Dakota or avian. And in terms of fullbodys and realism I think almost everyone on here takes a handful of DSD over 4 dozen GHG.

Id rather take 4 dozen GHG FB's over a handful of DSD's. Sorry but Im just giving my non biased opinion.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Justin Weber wrote:

Id rather take 4 dozen GHG FB's over a handful of DSD's. Sorry but Im just giving my non biased opinion.

Now say you get 4 dozen of each, but you get to use one brand and your running traffic. Take your pick...
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:47 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:
Justin Weber wrote:

Now say you get 4 dozen of each, but you get to use one brand and your running traffic. Take your pick...

Im gonna go with 4 dozen FFD Honkers. GHG already has the best motion system. For trafficing birds you want FFD because if they see any shine and your trying to pull em it makes things trickier IMO. If you were only using painted decoys, lets just say FFD's wernt an option, Id still go with GHG. Also lets think about this in price terms. Your gonna be able to buy alot more GHG Honkers with your money. If you were limited space wise and could only use 4 doz full bodies then price wouldnt be so much of an issue I guess. But still FFD's for running traffic will day in and day out be your best option IMO.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum