Texas Rigging HELP

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Texas Rigging HELP

Postby clymerfowler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Im buys 3 dozen decoys and want to rig them up texas style. i know how to make the rig and all i just need help with line length and weight. i will be hunting creeks, ponds, lakes, and maybe a river. how long should my lines be and how much weight should i have on the end. would 4oz hold them in current of if the lake gets a little choppy?
Pigeons-231
woodchucks-54
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Texas Rigging HELP

Postby rabbitdundied » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:06 pm

However deep is the deepest water you hunt. I am going away from TR because of deep water.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Texas rigging is great when you hunt water that is 4" deep or shallower. Anything much deeper than that and you are better off using a line you can wrap around the keel.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:09 pm

anywhere from 3' to 15'
Pigeons-231
woodchucks-54
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:19 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Texas rigging is great when you hunt water that is 4" deep or shallower. Anything much deeper than that and you are better off using a line you can wrap around the keel.

Absolute truth. You would be wise to listen to this sound advice and save yourself the time and money.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 am

okay so how much line should i use per decoy and how much weight. i want to keep it as simple, fast, and tangle free as possible like texas rigs.
Pigeons-231
woodchucks-54
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby lamboicon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:07 am

I have all mine at 4' with 6 oz egg on it. Then I have a long lines that I can add to my line for deep water. They are about 6' so I can get to 10 feet or so. I try to stay away from water that deep
lamboicon
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:14 am

we use a snap swivel on the end of a short line12"-18"attached to decoy and use a sinker on that in shallow or use a piece of 15-20lb nylon with a large loop in each end if in deeper one loop gets snapped into swivel the other threaded through weight then back over it. the nylon gets chucked in the fire when we get home. we have about 10 with heavier lines that get wrapped around the keel but find the nylon chucking easier to do.as to how big of weight to use??? only time will tell,but if your lines are a little too long it helps as a short line lifts the weight in waves which can allow deke to wash out into the lake and everyone just hates those as they pull ducks away from where you want them I usually return 3-4 each season from other guys who have yet to learn this.if they are un named well they just get added to our spread.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Texas Rigging HELP

Postby rabbitdundied » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 am

We use 4' Texas Rigs for shallow water. However on each decoy I have 20' of 50 LB mono with a cheap black rubber loop that is wrapped around the keel out of the way when hunting shallow water. When hunting deeper water I hook the Texas rig swivel to the rubber loop and mono. This gives me the ability to hunt deeper water with a Texas rig when needed. I have had no tangles so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rabbitdundied
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum