herters foam deeks durable????

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

herters foam deeks durable????

Postby texan68 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:18 pm

Are the herters foam decoys durable? In durable I mean able to be hauled around in a decoy bag, be thrown out on the water etc. Foam dosen't look like it would hold up.
texan68
hunter

Postby had » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:14 am

they are very "durable". i have a dozen ultimate blue bills and a doz millenium mallards, those are the ones with the hard shell. but i do have some reg geese. the foam hlds up good. i like them better than my friends plastic deks.

had
had
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:39 am

the herters foams dent and scratch easy. the bills and heads break off. i heard the burlaps are pretty tough. but i think the heads are still just foam. try G&h alot more durable. we are real rough with our g&h with no problems.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tome » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:33 pm

I have all burlaps..fowl foolers & cabella"s..unless you shoot one they don't ding up..I touch them up ..thats all they need. I finaly got tired of plastics..having to paint them constantly..these decoys last & last..ride great
tome
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:58 pm

i have had some g&h plastic decoys for 15 years. they still look great. no repainting.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby had » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:19 am

i was wondering what people ment when they said that the bills break. now i know, the heads are not made of foam, and the bills do not break off. mabey if you run it over with your truck... mabey they used to make the heads out of foam but not any more.

had
had
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:35 pm

Wooden bills do indeed break off at times-or are chipped.

As for the foam--they are fun to throw up in the air and powder them for target practice with a 12 ga after the dog chew the tail off in 3 seconds flat and same for the rest that have dog claw marks gouging in them from him stepping on them. Can you tell I do not think they hold up? :mrgreen: I had some Honker goose butts and my dog chewed 5 of 6 butts off in less than 30 seconds. :pissed: I repainted them but his claws left 1/4" deep marks on them. Nope not near enough to the tuffness standard that I demand. My dog climbs all over my G&Hs and not even scratches on them :thumbsup: I think the burlapped ones would hold up over all alot better.

As for my dog- well he does not like hard stuff to chew on--but soft stuff -- Oh God! The other day he shreadded a 1/2 roll of FG insulation in the back of my truck :eek:( he is 10 now) He tore is padded kennel bed to literal shreds in 1 hrs time. When I got him as a pup, I bought a cheap sleeping bag and a foam matress that I put inside of it for him so he had a soft place to lay up top of the rack I have in the back of the truck (see the tips thread, p 2) thinking I'll treat him good, anyways he shreaded that in 2 days time :eek: So he loves to shread soft things -including foam decoys. :yes:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ken h » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:40 pm

You can get the Herter's unpainted foamers ($15 a dz) and apply burlap and tile mastic ($25) yourself and have a pretty indestructable decoy. Not very much $$ involved in burlapping your own and can do it in a weekend. Painting is what ever you want it to be. If you need some help give me a holler or pm.
ken h
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:52 am

Herter's Millenium are very durable and realistic, but a bit pricey. They are polysterene with the photo printed image vaccum sealed on them. They finish will scuff if you are rough with them, but the body will not dent.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:37 pm

foam decoys are durable. I have a couple dozen that I painted myself after 4 years and they are still holding up. another thing that is great about them, you can put a few pellets in them and they still float great. the one problem is that they weigh more then a plastic decoy but if you don't plan on a long hike i would recomend foam.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:36 pm

do they weigh a lot more than GHG deks
texan68
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum