Patching Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Patching Decoys

Postby SemoDuck12 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:42 pm

I know somewhere in the 4,000 post in this decoy form its gotta be in here, but my battery is dying on my phone. So here it is:
What ways do you patch your decoys? We have a few with BB holes and I was wondering the best way to fix em. Thanks for your time.
Semo
SemoDuck12
hunter

Re: Patching Decoys

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Fill up a large container with water, big enough to submerge a decoy in. Hold the decoy under water and give it a light squeeze. When the air bubbles come out you found your holes. Mark them all with tape or a marker. Grab a drill and about a 1/4 inch drill bit. Up-size all the holes, this allows you to force sealant more easily into the hole. Also drill a hole in the butt and turn it upside down and shake out the shot and let it dry upside down over night. Next day fill holes with sealant. The best stuff in the world is a 3M sealant called B 1/2, google it. I like to apply it with a shish kabob stick and push it in the hole real good. Then I spit on my finger and smooth out the sealant on top. The next morning you will be super happy with the results. Good luck! I've done like 2 dozen this year, I'm a bad shot!
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:29 pm

I "weld" what I can by swiping an electric soldering iron over them and 3M 5200 the rest.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:41 am

Black RTV (silicone bathroom caulking) has always worked fine for me.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 am

drill a hole in the chest or butt section and shoot the decoy full of great stuff expansion foam. patching works if the holes are small and not too low in the water line. great stuff foam is cheap and it adds better flotation. I can do 4-6 decoys with one can of foam. you can shot them dead on and they are still going to float.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:15 am

Rick Hall wrote:I "weld" what I can by swiping an electric soldering iron over them and 3M 5200 the rest.

This always worked for me also.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum