Dakotavs. Avian X

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Dakotavs. Avian X

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:03 pm

I'm going to be buying some new ones this year. I like the looks of both. I've handled the Dakotas but have not seen an Avain X in person yet. Which ones should I go with?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Re: Dakotavs. Avian X

Postby Gooseband » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 pm

I've had dakotas they look Nice but I don't think they beat the avians. I just sold all my dekes and bought 4 dozen avians and love them new stake design is Awesome. Just my opinion tho!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Gooseband
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:12 am

Gooseband wrote:I've had dakotas they look Nice but I don't think they beat the avians. I just sold all my dekes and bought 4 dozen avians and love them new stake design is Awesome. Just my opinion tho!

I think he meant the duck floaters, not the goose decoys
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby Gooseband » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:56 am

My bad I had just seen it on the most recent threads list probably should of looked into that Sorry.

Gooseband
hunter

Postby DEDuck34 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:50 am

The new Avian Black ducks look amazing...I thought Avery had the best black duck decoy out but I think Avian just topped it, can't wait to get my hands on half a dozen this year.
DEDuck34
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:49 pm

If you are talking about mallard floaters, I bought a dozen Avian-X and used them for the first time last year. I am very impressed with them. All I know about the Dakotas is what I've seen and read in the ads....they don't look NEAR as good as the Avians. Durability will not be known for several seasons, I'm thinking.
mudpack
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Sorry for the confusion but yes I am talking about mallard floaters.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby DesotoLakeHunter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm

From what I have gathered, Id be spending my money on the Avians.... If I didn't have 4 dozen new G&H Magnum Swivel Head Mallards, id have the avains. I will say this though... I have been using G&H decoys for a long time and I am tough on my dekes. They get chunked around the boat, go in crappy decoys bags, etc. and they are the absolute toughest decoy ive ever used. I have some older ones from 10+ years ago that still look great and will still kill ducks. I do know G&H acouple years ago had a large bad batch of mallards come out and they stood behind them 100% and replaced all at there expense. Customer service means a lot to me and USA made is even better. Just my opinion...
DesotoLakeHunter
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:43 am

My only comment on the Dakotas so far is the keel is too short and they don't have an easy means to retain extra line in the keel. Haven't looked close at the avians yet though.

Pita unless you know you will always be in less than 2-3 fow.
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum