Paint Schemes

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Paint Schemes

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:03 pm

To sum it up, my grandfather gave me a bunch of old grungy decoys the other day and they need a paint job. They're so old its hard to tell what they were, but I was thinking about repainting them to look like blue wing or green wing teal. I have never done this before and from what I've researched there's a lot of opinion about what types of paint I should be using. Just wondering if there's a generally accepted brand/type of paint or if I need something more specific. Any tips/step by step instructions for repainting would be greatly appreciated. I also need the schemes for blue and green wing teal if anyone has that. These decoys are made of plastic if that makes any difference at all. Thanks in advance for helping out a clueless kid :thumbsup:
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Re: Paint Schemes

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 am

You will find a ton of posts on this forum about decoy painting if you use the search bar. (that's the generic answer anyway) If you want to get an idea of what a homemade paint job looks like on a GWT check out my bouy decoys I'm making in the Virginia Forum. Just scroll down till you see "bouy decoy". If your interested any further I can PM you a quick run down of the paint scheme process and it was done with paints you can find at Walmart or Home Depot. Number one mistake DONT RUSH take your time and let paint coats fully cure and prep, prep, prep! Good luck!
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Re: Paint Schemes

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:13 am

That buoy is definitely cool :thumbsup: I would really appreciate a rundown on the process cause I've never done this before and need all the advice I can get. If you could also tell me the name and colors of paint you were using that would be great as well. Thanks a ton
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum