Decoy strings and weights?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Decoy strings and weights?

Postby Bestanley04 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:06 am

Looking for the best way to put weights and strings on my new decoys.
Bestanley04
Newb

Re: Decoy strings and weights?

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:54 am

Wow that is a wide open question. It depends on a lot. First, are you using standard decoys, magnums, geese? In a back woods swamp or an open bay? This will depend on amount of weight. How deep of water, how many decoys you plan to rig? How much money you looking to spend? If you want a basic cheapo set up, get some decoy line and some 4 or 6 oz strap weights or pour your own if your handy and want to invest the time. J hook weights with bands are nice and help prevent decoys from chipping and tangling. Then there is Texas rigs, this is a good option if you know the exact depth of water you are going to hunt everyday and easy to set up, but storage is more of an issue for these in my opinion. You cant just throw them in a bag.
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

Also depends on the type of anchor line you prefer; attaching "tanglefree"-type or mono line requires a different method than attaching braided nylon....

Best for a novice like you would be to start with the Pro-Grade line and the strap weights from Mack's Prairie Wings. That should take care of 90% of your decoy's anchoring needs. No doubt you'll try several methods over the next decade. Best advice is to Keep It Simple.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bestanley04 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks for the info.
Bestanley04
Newb

Postby bipock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 pm

While it does depend on your where you hunt, I use 400lb. mono, SS crimps and 3 oz. weights. Most of my hunting is swamps or calmer water. I get about 4 ft of mono, take one end, make a circle and then run the shorter mono end through the loop a couple times to make it more difficult for the loop to pull out of the decoy eyelet. Crimp closed, run through decoy, weight the other end appropriately and crimp. All done.

Helps keep your hands out of the cold water.
bipock
Newb

Postby cfkid8 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:38 pm

check out Backwoods Decoy Systems http://www.backwoodsdecoysystems.com/ can make whatever lengths you want. if you want any more help with them shoot me a PM :wink:
cfkid8
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum