do you need Teal decoys for teal season?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

do you need Teal decoys for teal season?

Postby buckmeister » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:23 pm

I have never hunted the mid September teal season before. I have plenty of mallard decoys. Is it that important to have a spread of teal decoys or would my mallards be okay? Of course we kill teal over mallard decoys during the regular season.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Re: do you need Teal decoys for teal season?

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:09 pm

buckmeister wrote: Is it that important to have a spread of teal decoys or would my mallards be okay? Of course we kill teal over mallard decoys during the regular season.

You've answered your own question.
I find bluewings come in very readily to a dozen old Carry Lite Black Duck decoys. I call 'em my "Magnum Teal Decoys".

That said, I also use two dozen GHG Bluewing decoys with the drakes painted as hens.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 pm

mudpack wrote:
buckmeister wrote: Is it that important to have a spread of teal decoys or would my mallards be okay? Of course we kill teal over mallard decoys during the regular season.

You've answered your own question.
I find bluewings come in very readily to a dozen old Carry Lite Black Duck decoys. I call 'em my "Magnum Teal Decoys".

That said, I also use two dozen GHG Bluewing decoys with the drakes painted as hens.

Early Season Hen Packs!!
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Any kind of Hen decoy would be the most realistic this time of year, we use GHG Hot Buy Hens since they are small.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Any kind of Hen decoy would be the most realistic this time of year, we use GHG Hot Buy Hens since they are small.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 am

dont matter a bit! On several of the youth duck hunts, we ran a spread of mallards with mostly drakes, pintails, and others but no teal decoys and the teal still landed in the spread. Honostly, Just scout your spot, u can kill them over pop bottles!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:38 am

I run teal decoys with my mallards during the big duck season because the size mix adds to the illusion of life and may help fool wary big ducks. But my standing September spread is generally whatever's handy and my little run and gun spread is all mallard.

In my experience, however, adding a spinner or two will do more for your teal draw than anything else.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:50 am

Rick Hall wrote: But my standing September spread is generally whatever's handy and my little run and gun spread is all mallard.

X2 on this.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum