Old Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Old Decoys

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:40 am

Here is a picture of some old decoys I just aquirred yesterday. It's two drakes and a hen. They are from Sears and the seller said he thought they were from the 40's or 50's. The look like they have mold lines and they are canvas on the outside and paper pulp on the inside.

The tip of the beak on one drake and the hen are broken or chewed off. Can I fix them and repaint them? Will it ruin and value they have?

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:33 am

Do NOT alter them in any way!!!

Alter them (repair, paint, etc) and they loose all their collectable value. Naturally the ones with the broke up beaks will be less valuable than the one that is intact.

I suggest that you check around to find the decoy collectors show in the area this winter. There are several state collector orgs and once a year decoy shows. in your area. Go to it and ask several guys the value range of them. The biggest show in the US is in your area as I recall.

That one with the Higgins tag still on it is is definately worth $
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:04 pm

I agree one thousand percent with H2O....do not alter them and fool with them in any way --- especially when there is any original markings or tags.....I do not know alot aboutdecoy collecting, but I have quite a few I have found at craft shows and the like....I just like having them on display...for example, just acouple months ago got a paper mache' carylite...I guess it is from the sixties or maybe even the 50's......$5...almost perfect, so I am guesiong from what I see on e-bay I could get a 300% profit, but not interested
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:12 pm

:withstupid: don't do anythign with them.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

old dekes

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:42 pm

I did some checking and it does not look like they are worth a lot. But they look cool decorating my office.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackkiller » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:23 pm

Those look pretty cool. I don't have an old decoy collection yet but I wouldn't try and fix them. I'd leave them like they are.
quackkiller
hunter

decs

Postby horse » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:53 am

I have a few of those decs that were my grandads and a few of the old general fibers and I'm also lookin for info about decoys if any one nows of any collecter sites I would appretiate it.Thanks all for the help I have gotten in the past and for the futer help :smile:
smile all and have a great day all
horse
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum