decoy riging with homade weights question?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

decoy riging with homade weights question?

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:08 pm

So I have been making fishing jigs and sinkers for awhile now. Last year I made some egg sinkers and texas rigged some decoys.
This year I have bought the J weight mold that DO-IT makes( found Cabelas had it cheaper) and I intend to replace my strap weights. I bought some ss hog rings and some stretchee cord but found them cheaper than buying the ones DO-IT sells.
My question is that do it also sells a plastic nylon ring for adding to each end and i am wondering if this is really neccessary?
I can find them cheaper than from Do-It but do I really need the plastic ring at all?
What function does this ring serve that would be beneficial?
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Re: decoy riging with homade weights question?

Postby Woodie26 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:12 pm

The ring is made just so the line doesn't ware out as fast. It is something I think you should put on but don't truly need. You can always try one with it and one with out and see the difference as well.
Woodie26
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:15 pm

I guess I'll order some up. I will play around on google and try and find some as cheap as possible.
It is only a plasatic ring and a search the other day did find some quite a bit cheaper than do-it wants for theirs.
It is still probably going to cost me $30 with shipping and minimum order quantities.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Ordered up some rings. From a company that sells Bras and bra supplies of all places.
Do-it wanted way too much to ship to me. This company is shipping 12 dozen to me for $21.95.
Not bad for Alaska shipping was only $7.95.
Do-It wanted over $15 in shipping for just 3 or 4 dozen plus the rings cost over twice as much.
Now I have enough to do a few for friends as well.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum