NEED HELP AGAIN

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

NEED HELP AGAIN

Postby duckie boy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:47 am

Going to go scouting early to find some new spots for Duck and Deer hunting .Last year I got Chiggers and needless to say , it was no fun . :no: What I need to know is what is the best spray to put on to avoid getting Ticks, Chiggers and any other pain in the ass bug you can pick up scouting in the early season ??? :help:
duckie boy
hunter

Re: NEED HELP AGAIN

Postby YJSONLY » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:24 pm

You need something with deer in it. You need to find something that you spray on your clothes and then have to let them set 6-8 hours before you put them on.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:26 pm

I've always used 100% deet. Not that good for you but it works.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby PetriDuck » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:25 pm

I agree, 100% deet(its like 99.8). Stuff works but is intense. It will ruin rubber/plastic if you get it on it. (had the pleasure to get some on my steering wheel and it ate some of the varnish/seal, as well as my watch). Just a fyi.
PetriDuck
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 pm

I heard from someone that deer urine repels them. Im sure some Tinks 69 would do the same thing. Just hold it above your head before you go out and dump it all over. Let us know!
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Justin Weber wrote:I heard from someone that deer urine repels them. Im sure some Tinks 69 would do the same thing. Just hold it above your head before you go out and dump it all over. Let us know!

I hear this will repel anything from ticks to hunting partners. May even keep other hunting parties out of your secret hole.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 am

I spend a lot of time in the field, both at work and scouting, and on summer outdoor activities.
The formula that we find works the best is a multi-stage approach.

Get a set of clothes that are light weight and light colored. long pants and long sleeve shirt, treat the clothes with Permethrin spray. (available through lots of retailers) Apply to the clothing only, follow the directions, and this will last far quite a while, and through at least a couple of washings (they claim). Wear these clothes whenever you are afield.

I also spray my ankles and claves, waist line, lower arms, armpits and neck, ears and head with 100% deet spray.

Keep your shirt tucked in, tuck you leg cuffs into your boots (or tape the cuffs), and you now have a two phase layer of protection ! The Permethrin will stop them from crawling on you , and any that get through to your skin should be repelled by the deet.

I am going to treat my light-weight camo outfits for early bow season this year with the Permethrin to help protect against the ticks.

Good luck !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby duckie boy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:41 am

Thank you for all your help. As far as the person telling me to pour deer pee on my head ,, very funny ,Don't reply to my posts any more.
duckie boy
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum