Mixing oversized and life sized decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Mixing oversized and life sized decoys

Postby Nate_C » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Do alot of march hunting for mallards, widgeon. gadwall...ect... I currently have magnum mallards and wanted to mix in a 1/2 dozen widgeon but cannot find any magnums I like. I will seperate them sum but woluld it be OK to mix standard size widgeon with mag. mallards ?
Nate_C
hunter

Re: Mixing oversized and life sized decoys

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Ducks, like all prey animals, do not have binocular vision. Therefore, they have no depth perception. In other words, they won't know the difference.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:45 am

What frank said. Plus, ever look at a refuge? All sorts of sizes of ducks in real life, too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby imateamroper2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:24 am

Bigger is better,but it does not matter.
Mix 'em in .i would and not think twice.
imateamroper2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:21 am

I'd mix them for the same reason I mix teal and big ducks for the later, it adds greater illusion of life to the spread.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 am

Flocks of ducks have all ages and sizes of ducks.

I am not sure why people think ducks do not have binocular vision. All birds have at a minimum a small area in front of their beaks with binocular vision. If they didn't they would crash into to each other and other things all the time. A simple google search handles any questions you have on the subject.

For the record I never hunt magnum decoys and kill more birds than most hunters. I hunt a huge river system and have proven repeatedly that lifesize decoys and often fewer decoys produces more birds. Particularly late in the season. Ducks always want to land with other ducks. Ever seen a live magnum mallard?
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:21 am

imateamroper2 wrote:Bigger is better,but it does not matter.

On the surface, this would make sense. But what about the flip side? Consider that most people have a limited ability to carry decoys. This basically means that we have a certain volume in which we can carry our blocks. It comes down to a choice of whether we want to carry a dozen magnums or 18 life sized decoys. Granted, in some instances the magnums might be a better choice. Big water, for example, where the birds can see a long way off, would be one place for the larger than life sized birds. But what about in tight covers? Say in flooded timber. Does the extra size really do you any good, or would more decoys be a better choice?

Either way, if you want to compromise and mix them, the birds won't know the difference. We're trying to fool a bird with a brain the size of half a walnut that's flying by at 35 to 45 mph looking over your spread with one eye!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Nate_C wrote:Do alot of march hunting for mallards, widgeon. gadwall...ect... I currently have magnum mallards and wanted to mix in a 1/2 dozen widgeon but cannot find any magnums I like. I will seperate them sum but woluld it be OK to mix standard size widgeon with mag. mallards ?

Pretty sure you can't duck hunt in March in the US.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby Nate_C » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Sorry marsh not March
Nate_C
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:21 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Ever seen a live magnum mallard?

Nope.. because they make an easy target! :yes:
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge