Duck Hunting Forum banner

Mixing oversized and life sized decoys

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  cwsmith 
#1 ·
Do alot of march hunting for mallards, widgeon. gadwall...ect... I currently have magnum mallards and wanted to mix in a 1/2 dozen widgeon but cannot find any magnums I like. I will seperate them sum but woluld it be OK to mix standard size widgeon with mag. mallards ?

#2 ·
Ducks, like all prey animals, do not have binocular vision. Therefore, they have no depth perception. In other words, they won't know the difference.

Frank

#6 ·
Flocks of ducks have all ages and sizes of ducks.

I am not sure why people think ducks do not have binocular vision. All birds have at a minimum a small area in front of their beaks with binocular vision. If they didn't they would crash into to each other and other things all the time. A simple google search handles any questions you have on the subject.

For the record I never hunt magnum decoys and kill more birds than most hunters. I hunt a huge river system and have proven repeatedly that lifesize decoys and often fewer decoys produces more birds. Particularly late in the season. Ducks always want to land with other ducks. Ever seen a live magnum mallard?

#7 ·
imateamroper2 said:
Bigger is better,but it does not matter.
On the surface, this would make sense. But what about the flip side? Consider that most people have a limited ability to carry decoys. This basically means that we have a certain volume in which we can carry our blocks. It comes down to a choice of whether we want to carry a dozen magnums or 18 life sized decoys. Granted, in some instances the magnums might be a better choice. Big water, for example, where the birds can see a long way off, would be one place for the larger than life sized birds. But what about in tight covers? Say in flooded timber. Does the extra size really do you any good, or would more decoys be a better choice?

Either way, if you want to compromise and mix them, the birds won't know the difference. We're trying to fool a bird with a brain the size of half a walnut that's flying by at 35 to 45 mph looking over your spread with one eye!

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.