soft vs. hard plastic - painting questions

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

soft vs. hard plastic - painting questions

Postby mikeg1005 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 am

I picked a bunch of worn out decoys off craigslist tonight... just finished washing them.

I noticed that some hard a hard plastic, like most decoys I see, where as others are a softer compound that I can actually push in on.

I have noticed that people are recommending bedliner as a primer for decoys before painting, would you guys still use the bedliner and normal paint on the soft plastic decoys as you would on the hard type?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.
mikeg1005
hunter

Re: soft vs. hard plastic - painting questions

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 am

I'm guessing the softer ones are Carrylites, which are notorious for slipping paint and would think a something like bed liner would be better than most more common paint primers.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:25 am

Rick Hall wrote:I'm guessing the softer ones are Carrylites, which are notorious for slipping paint and would think a something like bed liner would be better than most more common paint primers.

The name sound familiar... Its either that, or G&Hs (was looking at the names last night as I cleaned them) I tried putting down some self etching primer that I was using for our boat/motor... this morning it held on pretty well with behind and pounding with my fist.

I was thinking about the bedliner, but I'm kind of curious if this the way to go with "flexible" things. I have used the roll on bedliner before, once it dries, it has almost no flex to it.. I could see it dry and then cracking when you press on it, where as spray paint is slightly more elastic. I have heard of people painting ATV fenders with Krylon Fusion with much success and those have flex to them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike.
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm

My thinking was that bed liner would create a stiff shell of its own that held paint better than Carrylite's flexible, and slippery, recyled plastic without cracking like most paint primers.

If I wanted to prime something like an ATV fender, I'd use Bull Dog Adhesion Promoter or something similar, but it's pretty expensive for use on cheap decoys.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum