Duck Hunting Forum banner

Storm Front Decoys?

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  carl1783 
#1 ·
Anyone hunt over them this season? They seem to be a solid decoy and I would like to pick some up. Pro's and con's please :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I used storm front mallards the last 2 years because they were cheap and available at my local stores.

Pros: They are cheap. I like that the keel has 4 tie off points and a hook eye hole that you can use to adjust your line for varying depths and the line won't come out, unlike decoys I've used with open hooks to tie off at. They have the UV paint, but I really don't know if that actually makes any difference.

Cons: They are cheap. The paint flakes and peels off, leaving large bald areas. The base plastic color is not a natural color for any ducks so it really shows when the paint comes off. Several of mine had keels that seemed to let water in and would then drip all over at random times.

All things considered, I don't really like them. I planned on replacing them this year with pro-grade GHG's or Dakotas, but as we've had tight finances I decided to just repaint them myself and try to make them last another year or two. If you are one who buys new decoys every year they might be a good for you, as they're cheap and after 1 season they don't look TOO bad. If you want to get several seasons out of them and can afford it, I would get some other, high quality decoys and take care to protect the paint.

#6 ·
jrode237 said:
mayhem96 said:
jrode237 said:
Conflict with Avery?
No, just don't staff for them anymore.
That's too bad, they lost a good kid. FWIW, I have read the stormfronts are the equivalent of the hot buys in terms of paint retention (not great unless you baby them). Will say, they do look pretty good when they're brand new in the store.
Ah shucks, thanks for the kind words. Still love Avery's gear and will always use it but I felt like I should be on my own at this point. Just couldn't keep up with some of the stuff they wanted.

#9 ·
Justin Weber said:
Im gonna be straight up honest. They chip like crazy. I would buy Hot Buys before them if I were you.
I agree 100%. I've had a bunch of boxes of Hot Buys and I think they are much better than the storm fronts I just picked up.

I replaced my GHG ProGrade wood ducks this year with Storm Fronts. I loved what the paint looked like in the store, and thought the shapes were better. Like someone else said, I liked the keel. Couldn't decide if I thought the UV thing was a crock, but figured I'd give them a try.
Been out 4 times now and I can't believe how bad the paint is chipping. I took a few pictures, and emailed Flambeau. Simple reply, "How many did you buy, and where? Whats your address?"
They are sending me replacements. I am guessing the replacements aren't going to be any better but at least the customer service was great. :lol3:
I'll sell them all and buy the GHG's again.

#11 ·
I have 3 doz. Of them and love every one, i have had no problems with paint chipping off any more than my GHG decoys. I even for got some outside all winter long and most of the summer by the lake i hunt. I realy like the keal on them, the old standar led decoy trap weights go right around the keal dont have to rap it around the head like most others, witch i think helps save the paint!!

#14 ·
I have three doz. 1 doz old style gray keel and 2 doz new tan keel. NEVER had any paint chip... and I beat the crap out of them. They cracked and split before any paint chipped. I mix them in the spreads with other decoys, but I have ran them straight a couple times and killed birds.

I wouldnt pay $40 a doz for them, but when they are on sale for 25 they are a good buy.

#15 ·
They are cheap but for the money they aren't bad. The molding lines on the plastic don't line up correctly on mine but it's not terrible. I have a dozen that are half "active" and half "resting" and the difference between the two positions is negligible. Agree with the previous comment of buying them on sale, which they are currently.

#16 ·
I bought some Storm Front Pintail decoys for the 2012 season, but because we had no water last year they didn't get used.
This season is a different story. I've used the pintails for about 9 hunts so far. Noticed this morning that the paint was starting to come off the drakes in quarter-sized flakes. The hens are still good. Sad, because otherwise they are really nice decoys.

One other gripe with the pintails: the keels are very light colored plastic and, in clear water, show up badly. I painted the keels with dark green camo paint. Problem solved.

So far, the only decoys I have not had paint issues with are the Avian-X. Too bad they don't make a pintail...... :sad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.