Confidence Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Confidence Decoys

Postby duckincrazy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:33 pm

We use different species of ducks, and at times a "blue heron" decoy off the side which I think helps.

What do you guys use for confidence decoys?
duckincrazy
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:35 am

In the goose fields I throw out a couple dozen crow dekes. It is typical for crows to be in the same fields, near but not with, the geese.

On the salt I'll even throw out a couple of seagulls - not often, but every once in a while - off to the side about 50 yrds downwind.

I have used the heron too.

To be honest with you, I am not convinced these decoys are the convincing factor in bringing in birds - but makes me feel good I guess and the cost is not much.

The BEST confidence decoy is waterfowl - when out for ducks I regularly put out a few Canadas.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MIDuckHunter » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:13 pm

I use a mannequin in a duck coat and waders. I stumbled on this set up while picking up decoys and watching all the ducks try to land. I tried hooking up a roboduck motor to the arms so they would swing around, but that seemed unsporting.
MIDuckHunter
Newb

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:53 pm

Very Good MIDuck. Isn't that the truth. I think you are on to something. You also need to prop a fake gun up against a tree on shore. That brings them in range every time.

As for the confidence decoys, I figure they probably don't hurt and it is kind of fun to have more things to mess with. There are just so many ways to set up the duck decoys, but throw in heron, coot, crow and cow decoys and you can mess with those all day long. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:45 pm

I think that it take attention off your spread just long enough to get a shot on gun shy birds. How do you use a COW decoy?
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:05 pm

Some people use cow decoys/silhouettes in open field situations. I guess technically, it is more of a blind than a decoy. I have seen them used on turkey as well.

Ever since someone got that picture of me helping that small lamb over the fence, I stay away from the bovine.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:03 pm

How do you use a COW decoy?

its for open field situations, it also works as a confidence decoy, if youve ever seen a haybale blind, when there are no other haybales around in a field, and you use the haybale blind, it is also smart to put the cow decoy beside the bale, but, it is used for jump shooting feeding geese, you get 2 or three guys and you walk behind the decoy while holding it and when in range, you throw it donw and go to shooting, it is very effective from what i have read and viewed on video clips
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby travo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:49 pm

i like to put out a few dove decoys along the shore during early season. i dont know if it helps or not, but has got me a few doves.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:50 pm

3 Crow dekes about 50 yards off to the side of a field Goose decoy spread. Blue Heron on edge of a pond or water in early season to Dec.

:-)
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum