Need help with painting GE hen's

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Need help with painting GE hen's

Postby gad daddy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:03 pm

I am in the process of painting around a dozen or so Goldeneye hen's, Any advice is greatly appreciated..I could use tips on what kind/color paint, how far in detail to go, Just about any information is very helpful to me! Thanks David
gad daddy
hunter

Re: Need help with painting GE hen's

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 am

I use a dark brown paint on the heads. I use a moderate grey and dark grey for the sides and back, with a lighter grey for the chest. If you want them to be more lifelike you can blend the colors where they meet or use proper brushes and make feathered transitions by marking feather tips in the lighter color over the darker.

Take a good long look at pictures online and then head down to Home Depot or Lowes and check out their color swatches. Find what you think are the right colors and buy the sample jars of paint. They cost $3 or so and one set in the right colors should paint all of your decoys. If you miss the color a bit on the light side they can darken to samples a bit. Plus if you miss the color a bit you can always mix some of the darker and lighter colors to get what you want.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum