GHG decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

GHG decoys

Postby m3500 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Some people really don't like Ghg decoys I can see why cause of the paint but what decoys do you use that have the same realism and postures with better durability. And I can't see why a couple slotted bags wouldn't cure most the paint lose anyone think the same way.
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Re: GHG decoys

Postby jrode237 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:29 am

Agreed. But you have to remember, a lot of old timers are still hunting over Herter's, G&H, etc.... that they bought 20+ years ago and have done nothing major to over the course of that time. Bottom line is buy the best decoys you can afford that you have confidence in. For duck floaters, for me that choice is GHG. I can handle the minor paint issues I have experienced with them in the last 5 years or so and they are plenty cheap to replace if they get trashed. I personally think they are some of the most realistic looking mass produced decoys made (Avian X would be my other choice) and to me "realism" is the thing that matters most. Had I put a flat clear coat (something I do now) on all my GHG's when I first bought them, I am pretty confident I would/could be still hunting over something that looked pretty close to the same as when I bought them new.
jrode237
hunter

Postby JB27 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:47 am

I have alot of GHG decoys and they're holding up just fine. Mine are all Texas rigged and get tossed in and out of my boat and they still look good. Paint will eventually chip away or fade from any decoy. For the price theyre tough to beat. Plus all the differant types of positions they offer butt up, no head, surface feeder,sleeper, etc make your spread come to life just my .2cents
JB27
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Most of the decoys made today have great detail which appeals far more to the hunters than the birds themselves. Until a bird is well within shooting range I doubt they can even see the detail on most decoys so minor chips here and there really don't make that much of a difference.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:38 am

What these guys say is certainly true.
I primarily use GHG ProGrades and Avian-X decoys. I have great confidence in them to pull ducks; they look that good.

About paint chipping; a few chips here and there don't bother me, but I have a couple dozen older GHG Life Size mallards where the hens have lost so much paint that they are 90% PINK (the plastic is pinkish). I've repainted them, but the repaint doesn't stick all that well either...... The ProGrades don't seem to have a paint issue.

When GHG gets their paint issues behind them (including the reputation), they'll be the unchallenged leader in duck decoys; their price, realism, and durability (paint aside) are second to none.
mudpack
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:19 am

I bought two dozen hotbuys last year for $30 a dozen I think. Hunted over them three times a week all season. While there are some paint blemishes, I think they held up well from the abuse they were put through. Like someone said earlier, I highly doubt ducks can notice paint blemishes. If they could I don't think they would decoy in the first place, but what do I know...I could be wrong. I'm trying to hunt over 100+ decoys this year and I have a hard time paying $130+ for decoys that may only come in 6 packs. If I was rich I would have 200 Dakotas...but I'm not so I don't. My dad hasn't bought decoys in atleast eight years and still hunts his GHG and Flambeau(spelling). You could spend $160 and get 12 Dakotas or for the same money you can get about 4 dozen Hotbuys....choice was easy for me.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:12 am

Honestly I havent seen half the paint issues of what people say they have with GHG's sure they have a chip here and there but from 10ft away you cant see it. and these decoys are 3 seasons old and on texa rigs.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum