Cork Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Cork Decoys

Postby preacherdan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:59 pm

I have been lookin at these cork decoys, the hunting grade jobbers, and i have to say they look legit, very realistic. My first question is, do guys really pay $150 per decoy x however many say be it a dozen in your spread your over a thousand bucks ! So do yall hunt over these? I agree they look good, but what other advantages are we talking? I would guess being cork they prbably move around alot better on still waters.??
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Re: Cork Decoys

Postby DucknGoodTime » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Cork, and wood decoys ride very well in the water, probably as close as it gets to real birds. And yes people do pay that much for decoys. Besides the way they ride in thw water is longevity. I know people who are hunting over wood decoys that were handed down from their grandfathers. I doubt you'll see too many plastics last that long.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:37 am

As far as transportation with these decoys, slotted bag? Or do guys just throw them all in like the
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby hankyorke » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:09 am

I hunt only handcarved birds. $150 is probably a good average of what blocks cost, depends on species, medium, carver, etc...
Why? 100% personal preference, each decoy has a history and a story, I like they way they float, the longevity, but mostly its because that's the way waterfowl hunting used to be done.
If walking in I use canvas slotted bags. If using my BBSB I just stack them up on the back and front inside the racks.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 am

all of my handcrafted wood, cork, and foamer dekes are in slotted bags. It just makes sense to protect them while in transport and in the boat.
Regarding price, you can spend whatever you like on decoys. It all depends on what makes you happy !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:03 am

If you interested in them I would buy a couple and put them in your spread. See how they work, and how they last compared to plastics. If you like them buy a few more as you can and build the spread. Or get into the hobby and make your own.

I chose to go with casting my own foam decoys. While faster is does not have the same feel as carving them. Either way I have a superior decoy that won't sink if shot and has a lifetime + service life. Once I get them done I won't be spending money on buying decoys ever again. Occasional paint touch ups and I am good to go. I have plans after duck season to start carving some body positions and head positions I want in the spread in foam. I then plan to move on to wood once I have the foam carving down.

Never spending good money on crappy plastic decoys ever again. Priceless!
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 am

My dad hunted lake Erie with cork decoys, they ride great in big water.He sold them for little bit of nothing 20 years ago and is now kicking himself. I have one herters goose cork that a guy offered me 200 for. I wont sell it.
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: I'm borderline retarded .
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:06 am

I think i would like to buy a couple like you suggested but i would also like to attempt my own, do you have any suggestions on where to get cork and such carving supplies, paint?
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:20 am

preacherdan wrote:I think i would like to buy a couple like you suggested but i would also like to attempt my own, do you have any suggestions on where to get cork and such carving supplies, paint?

Give Willy McDonald a call at www.theduckblind.com and he can set you up with a complete starter kit that'll have everything you need to try your hand at making your own. They also have cyber classrooms with very informative videos.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:57 pm

That and join the website Workingdecoys.net. There is an endless supply of information on carving and finishing decoys on the site. There are some amazing carvers on the site and they will happily provided tips and info on how to improve. If you take the time to read through the carving forum and painting forums threads you will get all the info you will need to make your own spread.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:38 pm

DucknGoodTime wrote:
preacherdan wrote:I think i would like to buy a couple like you suggested but i would also like to attempt my own, do you have any suggestions on where to get cork and such carving supplies, paint?

Give Willy McDonald a call at http://www.theduckblind.com and he can set you up with a complete starter kit that'll have everything you need to try your hand at making your own. They also have cyber classrooms with very informative videos.

This! I bet Willy has started more decoy carvers than anyone else in the business.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:40 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:That and join the website Workingdecoys.net. There is an endless supply of information on carving and finishing decoys on the site. There are some amazing carvers on the site and they will happily provided tips and info on how to improve. If you take the time to read through the carving forum and painting forums threads you will get all the info you will need to make your own spread.

And this, workingdecoys has some of he best around is full of information and help. No better place around.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby killerv » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Find a style you like and see about picking up a few to hunt over. Carvers also sell decoys out of their personal rigs that won't cost as much as a new price, just ask around. I buy one here and there but mostly carve my own and swap with other carvers.
killerv
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:38 pm

I think you should treat yourself to a few Sneakbox deeks. I think they are really reasonable for how nice they are and I plan to get a pair of blacks (you don't need many here).....and see how you like them

http://www.sneakboxdecoy.com/gunning_grade.html
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for the help guys im deffinity going to give him a call and give this a go , i appreciate all the advice
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:09 am

LL Bean deeks are pretty easy to find now and again online....also...E Allen are very nice (foam) depending on who painted them...

a Bean is attached
Attachments
BeanTail.jpg
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:31 am

Look around here and other carving/decoy forums, you'll find something you like.
IMO "out of the rig" is the best way.
hankyorke
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum