flock heads or not for duck decoys?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

flock heads or not for duck decoys?

Postby bpreston » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:33 pm

Just picked up some Dakota mallard decoys. They came with both regular and flocked heads for the drakes. I have slotted, zipper top decoy bags so able to keep the flocked heads in good shape. Never used flocked headed duck decoys before so looking for pros/cons and recommendation for flocked or non-flocked?
bpreston
Newb

Re: flock heads or not for duck decoys?

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:07 am

I run my Dakotas both ways and doubt there's much practical difference other than that the flocked will eventually fade sooner.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:16 am

Consider this. You are trying to fool a bird with a brain the size of half a walnut that is looking at your stool with monocular vision, from beyond 40 yards while flying past at 35 or 40 mph. Do you think flocked anything is really going to make a difference? Flocking is the BlindSide/Black Cloud/Hypersonic version of decoys.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:Consider this. You are trying to fool a bird with a brain the size of half a walnut that is looking at your stool with monocular vision, from beyond 40 yards while flying past at 35 or 40 mph. Do you think flocked anything is really going to make a difference? Flocking is the BlindSide/Black Cloud/Hypersonic version of decoys.

Frank

THIS. :clapping:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:55 am

it is a must! I never killed a single teal over decoys until I fully flocked all my green wing decoys! :lol3:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum