Texas Rig Question

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Texas Rig Question

Postby kgrant » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:21 pm

sorry if this isn't the right place for this. So im thinking about Texas rigging my dekes this year but I don't know where to begin. I have read several How to's but they have all been vague . Is there a good set of instructions out there or should I just go buy the rig em right or cabelas set what are pros and cons of rigging your own or buying commercial . any thoughts would be great thank you.
kgrant
hunter

Re: Texas Rig Question

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbOz-dgp_UU

I bought the DIY kit on rogers sporting goods for about 20 dollars for 3 dozen. You just need to buy the weights.

Good luck
Skeet123
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:53 am

Skeet123 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbOz-dgp_UU

I bought the DIY kit on rogers sporting goods for about 20 dollars for 3 dozen. You just need to buy the weights.

Good luck

Those are the exact instructions I used for rigging around 10 dozen of my decoys this last winter. Only difference was I bought 4 ft. precut lines (400 lb. mono) from SNL Corp. Don't remember the exact price but it was pretty cheap. I then used all of my old strap weights from previous decoys and bought an egg sinker mold off of eBay along with the melting pot from a local reatailer. I haven't even used mine yet but I can tell you I will never go back to wrapping cords around my dekes again. I currently have them hanging from the rafters in my shed on large style caribeeners I bought from Walmart.
jrode237
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:29 am

I've never made my own, just bought the Rig Em Rights but I'll never go back.

About the only drawback to them is a long walk in where you will need a lot of decoys. That's the place where a large decoy bag shines, other than that, the rigs are the quickest to put out and pick up of anything I've ever seen. I love them.
GCox25
hunter

Postby Cypress_Bend » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:50 am

Yes go to http://www.snlcorp.com/SNL/Other/DuckDecoyKit.aspx and they will have everything you need to rig your own texas rigs. I to bought the 4 foot precut kit and rigged 200 last year. This year I bought a egg sinker mold and melted all my strap weights down and re-molded them into eggs. I am about to order from SNL Corp enough mono and crimps to rig about 1000. this is very economical if you have a lot to do, but if you have 2-3 dozen then maybe just buying some pre rigged would be your best bet. The only reason I would ever have string on my decoys again is for hunting deep water situation along a river, thats all. everyone I hunt with has gone to this texas rig system
Cypress_Bend
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:26 am

Just the 4 oz weight are almost $1.50 each around here so I bought a mold and made my own. There are several different ways to set them up that all work pretty similar. I prefer to incorperate a snap swivel so I can take the lines off or switch out for longer ones.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12 am

Has anyone here contacted SNL about offering a 5ft or 6ft precut package? Few spots I hunt, 4ft (which come out to be about 3-3.5 feet by the time you rig them like in the video above) just aren't quite deep enough. I wouldn't want to do much more than 6ft as it would probably become more of a hassle than it's worth, but up to that would be ideal. Figured I would ask before I contact them myself.
jrode237
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:27 am

Buy an uncut roll of clear Weed Eater line at Home Depot or Lowes and use that. Compare prices with SNL Corp for their rolls of 400 lb mono and go with the cheaper one. Search around on here, there was a thread on a Weed Eater line some guys liked better than the 400 lb mono.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:49 am

I have purchased a 200yd roll of 400lb mono before but the ends aren't nice and clean like the precut stuff offered. Kind of makes the line not want to go through the egg sinkers or crimps very well. I imagine cutting weed whacker string with a side cutters would be much the same way but I may look into it.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:51 pm

jrode237 wrote:I have purchased a 200yd roll of 400lb mono before but the ends aren't nice and clean like the precut stuff offered. Kind of makes the line not want to go through the egg sinkers or crimps very well. I imagine cutting weed whacker string with a side cutters would be much the same way but I may look into it.

Cut your lines at an angle, not straight across and they should work better. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum