Duck Hunting Forum banner

GHG vs. Dakota mallards

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Rick Hall 
#1 ·
What do y'all use and why?

#2 ·
I have both GHG lifesize and GHG made Cabela's Real Image mallards in the shed, but the paint's gone on them, and I've used Dakota mallards the past three seasons. Expect that if I buy more, they'll be the Dakotas that I think look better and seem to be holding up better. Knock wood.

#7 ·
GHG pro grades will get the job done as long as they don't have to be left out all season in the sun , like in rice fields or on huge spreads on open water lakes it helps to twelve slot them so they don't chip as bad.
But theres really no comparison the Dakota's are more realistic and more durable.
We field tested them for 3 years , in several sets of conditions and the Dakota's held up much better all the way around .
And we used both its just a fact.

#8 ·
G&H Magnums have been great for me over the last 5 seasons - I take decent care of them but they definitely withstand some abuse. I hunt with guys who also use G&H and Dakota - both are great looking and work. The Dakota full-body with flocked heads are gorgeous but I'd be afraid to get them dirty!

GHG deeks are pretty but a little too pretty IMO - paint chips on me. I love their teal pack though, very nice looking.

#9 ·
G&H ranked number one in longevity and durability in our field tests , I realize of course that wasn't the original question posed.
Never the less since you bring it up we have G&H on their 17th season, how's that for decoy life they are my decoy of choice for extended use (when a decoy is left out on the water all season ) and that's over a hundred days a year out here in California.
But in the timber where we pick up daily and we are sitting the birds down in the decoys before the shot is called,
The Dakota has them beat hands down for life like looks , consequently we use G&H on open water and Dakotas in timber on ponds and such. We have started rotating or GHG out of the spreads .

Attachments

#10 ·
I used G&H for years, going back to the mid '70s, and some definitely held up better than others. Pintails and teal from back then are still usable, albeit repainted a couple or three times. Mallards, over-sized and standard, haven't held up nearly as well. The keels broke off all my o-s mallard hens (apparently from bending in the bag), my o-s mallard drakes all eventually split down the back seam, and all of the standard mallards eventually split along the angle where their sides met their bottoms.

But even if I agreed that they were "all that and a box of chips" for durability, G&H mallards still look just like decoys, rather than ducks. And some of the new "improved" postures are downright cartoonish.

Wish it weren't so.

(We've 25 year old Flambeaus that have held up as well or better.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.