Decoy Paint Schemes

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Decoy Paint Schemes

Postby macmn3 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Hey new to this site. Anybody have a list of paint schemes for repainting old decoys? Im thinking of buying paints at lowes or somewhere similar vs buying a kit from cabela's to try and save a few bucks. This year I'm redoing some of my old man's mallards that he sold me, but schemes for any species would be appreciated.
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Re: Decoy Paint Schemes

Postby staticarc » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 pm

I just repainted several hundred of my old faded out mallards .
After trying several different types of paint, ended up finding some good colors .
At lowes I had them mix me up a quart of valspar outdoor exterior primer plus (flat )
"Deep earth " brown ($11). This is my hen body color and drake breast . Can do about 100 solid hen decoys with one quart.
Used John Deere green mixed with a little forest green (satin )for drake heads.
Walmart flat white enamel and flat black enamel for the detail work.
I put a black strip on top of drakes heads similar to G&H decoys.
Added a lot of white to my drakes like the ghg January mallards.
In the crafts section of Walmart, outdoor acrylic yellow and red for mallard bills.
Mix just a touch of red to yellow for that hen orange bill color. Also a small thing of blue for the wing patch.
I did about 200 dcoys for around $40.
Be advised however ... If you've got them clanking together in a bag or something
The paint will scuff on to another decoy.
I ended up with yellow marks on my hen bodies.and had to touch them up.
I leave my decoys out in my field all season , so I put my decoys individually inside a plastic bag until I put them out.
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum