Opinions on decoys needed.

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Opinions on decoys needed.

Postby no3topqb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm

I am looking at buying about 2 doz decoys to use while hunting out of a boat in flooded timber. I really don't want to spend a lot, line on Dakotas or g&h, but want something durable that can take being thrown around in a boat. I have been looking at GHG and higdon. I know its like Pepsi vs coke, but I'm just looking at past experiences with these. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
no3topqb
hunter

Re: Opinions on decoys needed.

Postby staticarc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Save money. Flambou classic storm fronts .
Decent paint job and only $38 a doz.
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 am

GHG life sizes. thats what ive been running the past 3 seasons now and they still looks great after being carried long distances on texas rigs and thrown in the truck like that.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:20 pm

staticarc wrote:Save money. Flambou classic storm fronts .
Decent paint job and only $38 a doz.

x2
Geaux Tigers
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:48 pm

x3 on the Flambeau's. After a few seasons, buy some decoy paint and redo them. Still cheaper than others on the market.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:20 pm

I have been looking at GHG but prob gonna get the magnum size. What's yalls opinion on the avian x brand?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
no3topqb
hunter

Postby staticarc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Over priced and painted to attract consumers more so then ducks.
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 am

If money is an issue take the advice and buy the cheaper decoys and spend the money on shells and gas. Ducks are not that bright and will decoy to rough shaped blocks painted the right colors. When the paint wears out on the cheap ones rattle can them black and add them to more cheap decoys.

People spend ridiculous amounts of money on decoys. I have not met a plastic decoy that holds paint worth a damn. Why spend a ton of money when the paint will be just as crappy on an expensive decoy as a cheap one in 3 years?

I have been hunting for close to 40 years. The guys and I kill hundreds of birds every year. Last year my entire spread was Craigslist repaints. I paid less than $1.50 a decoy with the paint price included. I gave half the spread to buddies and sold the other half for more than I had into it. This year will be all foamers I made myself.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:52 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Last year my entire spread was Craigslist repaints. I paid less than $1.50 a decoy with the paint price included. I gave half the spread to buddies and sold the other half for more than I had into it. This year will be all foamers I made myself.

A lot of truth to this and he is obviously speaking of experience. If money is the problem, buy on CL and repaint. You can find duck floaters on there everyday.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby kbooger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Last year my entire spread was Craigslist repaints. I paid less than $1.50 a decoy with the paint price included. I gave half the spread to buddies and sold the other half for more than I had into it. This year will be all foamers I made myself.

A lot of truth to this and he is obviously speaking of experience. If money is the problem, buy on CL and repaint. You can find duck floaters on there everyday.

I've repainted some and its a lot of time. To paint a drake mallard you'll need black, white, green, grey, brown, yellow. I did mine in steps so each color was a different stage. After all that the paint I used wasn't great and ended up coming off in the normal spots. Sometimes it is just better to buy new.

Would you rather spend $70 on a dozen GHG lifesize or spend a bunch of time cleaning/preparing, painting (not to mention the cost of the paint, brushes, thinner)?

In addition if you are new to duck hunting you likely don't know about the crappy water keels on the old flambaeu and carrylite decoys. I like to be able to chuck my decoys out to where I want them. With the water keels, they don't always land right-side up so then you get to walk/paddle out and deal with that hassle.

If you like to tinker around and paint, go ahead. I like painting decoys, its fun. If you don't have the time or don't want to do it, buy new or used in good shape. I'd stay away from the types I mentioned above that you'll find on CL.
kbooger
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:32 am

kbooger wrote:In addition if you are new to duck hunting you likely don't know about the crappy water keels on the old flambaeu and carrylite decoys. I like to be able to chuck my decoys out to where I want them. With the water keels, they don't always land right-side up so then you get to walk/paddle out and deal with that hassle.

Ha! Poor OP will be more confused with everyone's opinion. Above is true too. Old Flams blow. Ducks see more keels on those than the paint. I only addressed not having money for decoys. There is a time you will tell yourself hell with buying used. I have always had the mindset of buying the quality and spending the money. I tell all my partners that. You'll end up replacing cheap decoys later on and spending more money doing so the way the decoy prices have been the last three years. Heck, I still have ten year old BigFoots that look like brand new ones.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 am

no3topqb wrote:I have been looking at GHG but prob gonna get the magnum size. What's yalls opinion on the avian x brand?

I bought Avian-X Mallards for the last season. Great looking decoys. Durable so far. I will only buy Avian-X or GHG ProGrades from now on. Had super results with both.
mudpack
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 am

I HAD a bunch of flams water keel and got tired of having to wade out there and turn them over. bought some tanglefree on sale for $17/doz and boy were they cheap. Instead of putting out 3 doz dekes in the timber, I am thinking about 18-20 magnums with more detail. They will be kept in slotted bags so they wont be rubbing together. I really like the Higdon foam filled magnums and GHG magnums. Just curious if others experience with these has been pos/neg...
no3topqb
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:50 pm

If you're looking for something that will last a long long time go ahead and cough up the money for some G&H s. The paint and plastic on those things are far superior to any of the other plastic dekes.
m.teeter
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum