Looking to add some diver decoys...Suggestions??

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Looking to add some diver decoys...Suggestions??

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Fellas, I am looking to add some diver decoys to my spread for this upcoming season. I will be doing more lake and river hunting this year and I would also like to mix a few diver decoys into my puddle duck spread from time to time for added visibility. I am not looking to break the bank but I do want quality decoys that will ride good in the water. I am basically looking for 6 Ringnecks or Bluebills and maybe some Redheads or Canvasbacks. I am not rough on my decoys but I do want something that will last for a long time. I have been looking at some of the Hardcore decoys and Higdon decoys. Your thought's on these?

Thanks in advance for all the help :bow: :bow:
mayhem96
hunter

Re: Looking to add some diver decoys...Suggestions??

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:55 am

No to Hard Core and Higdons are nice but check out Tanglefree foam filled they are really nice and will never sink and the price is pretty good I think.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Foam filled or something hand carved that wont sink is a must for me whenever I consider diver dekes. I carve my own foamers now but will soon be switching over to cork.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby brickgw » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Buy some cheap used mallards off someone, clean them up and paint them into bluebills or ringnecks yourself. Easy way to save some cash.
brickgw
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:08 am

One way or another add divers that match what you are seeing in the area you hunt. Buffleheads come in to 3 or 4 hens per drake a lot better than a bunch of drakes. I would put together one or two 8 to 12 bird blue bill longlines and set them a bit away from your puddlers. If you hunt shallows water singles will work and look up ideas online for mixed puddler and diver spreads. Lots of good info out there.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum