Drake to Hen

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Drake to Hen

Postby preacherdan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:43 pm

I have 50 decoys i am going to paint into divers after doing some lookin around on here on what other guys have done, and i should be getting another 2 dozen this weekend... My question, what is the ratio to use for drake to hen, guys say more drakes for the visibility and yet i hear guys say 50/50....what do you hunt over as far as ratio goes
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Re: Drake to Hen

Postby ScaupHunter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:18 am

50 / 50 is to many drakes. 40 / 60 drakes to hens is a much better ratio. A real flock of divers has a lot of immature drakes that looks like hens in it. I started getting a lot better finishing from diver flocks when I switched to a higher hen count. 40 % drakes gives plenty of white and black for visibility. The hens also look black at a distance and provide good flock visibility for distant birds.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Drake to Hen

Postby Ringneck » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 am

I have no set ratio....I just try and match what I see on the river when I scout. Just match what you see when you hunt.

I see lots of diver spreads with 70-80% drakes in them when I'm hunting and they are visible from a long distance...but they look odd and out of place on the body of water I hunt. It's easy for me to pick out the decoy spreads because the ratio is off for that area. I assume a duck can do it also.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum