What are flocked Decoys exactly?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

What are flocked Decoys exactly?

Postby kgrant » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:49 am

I Keep hearing the term and seeing everywhere Flocked decoys I have always just bought painted decoys and assumed they were the only type out there. so I am just curious what a flocked decoy is the process of making them and are they even worth the extra money.
kgrant
hunter

Re: What are flocked Decoys exactly?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:14 pm

basically feels like velvet, and is glued to the plastic in the respective colors of the duck/ goose. cuts down on glare suppose to look more real.

I only run flocked head goose decoys, water and mud ruin flocking pretty quick for something that is only in the hunter's mind on how well it works.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby kgrant » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Awesome thanks I appreciate it. I think ill stick to painted dekes then I hunt muddy water and in the rain a lot. any ideas hiw to keep the paint from chipping and lasting longer?
kgrant
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:56 pm

kgrant wrote:Awesome thanks I appreciate it. I think ill stick to painted dekes then I hunt muddy water and in the rain a lot. any ideas hiw to keep the paint from chipping and lasting longer?

Bags...they are totally worth the investment. Allows you to carry more decoys than by hand, and extends their life tenfold by not banging or rubbing against each other.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:37 am

It's nylon fibers put on decoys via various processes, then airbrushed. Requires more care than painted decoys, looks a ton better. If water is ruining the flocking then someone did a pizz poor job of putting it on in the first place. Some guys like it, some don't.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Mean Gene wrote:It's nylon fibers put on decoys via various processes, then airbrushed. Requires more care than painted decoys, looks a ton better. If water is ruining the flocking then someone did a pizz poor job of putting it on in the first place. Some guys like it, some don't.

the fibers laydown once they get wet.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:34 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:

I'm definitely not following you. I hunt over flocked decoys and have no idea what you're trying to say. :huh: Mine get wet, they dry out, they look the same. Only thing that destroys the flocking is abrasion.

Not trying to be combative, I truly don't understand what you're trying to convey.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:41 pm

same?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Mean Gene wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:

I'm definitely not following you. I hunt over flocked decoys and have no idea what you're trying to say. :huh: Mine get wet, they dry out, they look the same. Only thing that destroys the flocking is abrasion.

Not trying to be combative, I truly don't understand what you're trying to convey.

You mean my dakotas arent gonna look like hammered sh1t when I get them out this year? They sure got wet only about every time I used em the past seasons......
sooner737
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Mean Gene wrote:looks a ton better.

Please explain
hankyorke
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 pm

hankyorke wrote:
Mean Gene wrote:looks a ton better.

Please explain

More realistic, more like feathers. Diffuses light better and doesn't glare/shine.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:45 am

It goes like this....people have killed ducks for years without flocked heads. Do they look more realistic to us? Yes. Ducks....who knows. Movement is KEY in my opinion. Like said before, ducks have monocular vision! They look good to us....we buy them....simple as that.
sooner737
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:12 am

Hey Gene... let them keep using their plastic painted dekes. And those of us that know will keep using our flocked dekes.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:09 am

:thumbsup: ^
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Personally I think it's a good thing to do to plastics. The only downside is you have to be a little more careful with it.

On carved decoys I think it takes away from the bird. The carver has an intended "look" he is conveying in his work. Covering it with anything other than paint takes away from that and hides a lot of small imperfections that make it a handcarved bird...in my personal opinion. I personally love seeing small cork voids in a bird and some wood grain. It only builds more character over time and looks better...not worse. We never repaint or repair cork and wood birds....they look "beautifully used" after 15 years or so and the birds couldn't care less. Again....it's all personal preference for me.

With regards to foamers it has a great fit. It's a fantastic way to hide seams, burlap, etc. Those type birds generally have no detail carved in them due to the medium so it does wonders for the way they look.

I personally like the way the black flocking looks on a bird...but I would never hunt with a flocked bird because it is not durable enough for the way I hunt. I'm not saying it doesn't work great for a lot of other guys but it does not fit our operation...and has proven itself not to.

It has it's pros and cons and depending on who you are talking to you will only hear one side of the story. I say try it and see if you like it. If it fits your hunting style roll with...if not then leave it behind. Nothing is perfect and nothing kills birds everytime. There's no such thing as a "silver bullet" in duck hunting. Rely on YOURSELF....not your decoys. Then you'll never have a problem killing birds :thumbsup:

That's my $0.02 on flocking.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:27 pm

I think the Greatest advantage to flocked decoys is they do not glare or reflect light to the same degree as painted decoys do , and we all know that even the flattest of paints still reflect light,
The advantage is not as true in the duck decoy line because the body remains painted , but with the fully flocked geese I have seen the results for years and especially on blue bird days.
This is not to say that you can not kill geese over painted decoys because you can , but I have had far less flocks flare off the flocked decoys than the painted ones and I have used both for years.
My FFD (Fully Flocked Decoys) Goose Decoys are 8-10 years old and in great shape , I put them in 6 slot bags after each hunt , they have been soaked numerous times and I try not to bag them wet but some times you have no choice , if they get muddy then let them dry and use a soft brush to clean them off.
If you try them I'm pretty certain you won't go back to painted decoys .
Below is a pic you can see the decoys in the back ground.
Attachments
image.jpg
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum