New Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

New Decoys

Postby big_bubba_biggs » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:00 pm

Ive been hunting since i was 15 and i am 20 now but my decoys are having chips in the paint and they are all water keels they are all hand me downs from my dad and they look like crap and i am going to go all out and get some new ones and i would like to know how many dozen i should get and what are some of the brands are good for the money. I dont mind paying a $100 a dozen either that is not a problem cause i have got tell next duck season to get all that is needed. But some input on this would be nice. I have flams now and i am not going to buy any more of them i want something that is going to last me some years and i want weighted keels. i always go out in about well almost always but i will pack the weighted keels that doesnt bother me
Thank you ,
BUBBA
big_bubba_biggs
hunter

Postby Bucky193 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:17 pm

Well I say about two bags with 40 decoys would do BUT U COULD ALSO GO AND GET THEM RE PAINTED
If only my dog could talk and cook I wouldn't need a wife.
Bucky193
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:00 pm

I buy nothing but G&H now. I got tired of having to repaint and replace all of my old Flambeau's and Carry-Lites year after year. My G&H's are on their 4th season and have held up better than any other brand I've had. Well worth the money in my opinion.

If those old decoys were mine I'd hang onto them and use the to get your numbers up. When I was 16 I hunted over 20 year old G&H's and Flambeau's. They were ugly as sin, but they sure pulled in the ducks.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:52 pm

i would try g&h. they last for years and years. some people are reporting paint problems with g&h the newer ones. but i am sure g&h wiil replace any paint loss dekes.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:47 pm

G&H all the way. We had some paint trouble with some a couple weeks ago. Their customer service kicks avery's customer service butt. I have talked to the owner of the company. He personally looks at every return they get. They reimburse you for shipping, and get your new dekes to you ASAP.

They use special paint, and that is why they are so expensive. We hunt over some that are 15-20 years old and they still look great. THey have all the paint intact. My new GHG that have been on 8 hunts look like total crap.

I am G&H all they way. They are the only decoys I will ever buy. You can buy the cheap GHG, Carrylites, FLambeaus, Bond, Remingtons, etc. and then spend more in a couple years repainting them then you would've just buying G&H.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:57 pm

Take a look at the Cabelas "Real Image" Mallard dekes. I was really impressed with them moreso than the G&H and GHG! . . . no paint problems so far.

:-)
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:21 am

HatterWayne, those Real Image decoys ARE Greenhead Gear decoys marketed under Cabela's name. :thumbsup:

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:02 am

O'Y . . . I use both and at first, that's what I thought and it may be true but, the "feel" of the plastic, the detail, and the paint quality and coloration are IMO far better than the GHG models. If this is true, GHG should have advertised / marketed them as their own (GHG brand)!

:-)
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:41 pm

Get cork - or make your own - they will last forever, take shot and never sink - simple paint scheme is all it takes to bring in the ducks - detail is for show. Or even consider the Herters....get the unpainted, burlap them for less than $10 and paint for about $10 and you have a dozen decoys for less than $50 which will last almost as long as a cork. You get the satisfaction of hunting over your own creations, save a few dollars now and alot in the long run.

I only have a few plastics, which I keep for the occaisional carry-in hunt, but they are old and not like the new models - painting process was not as restricted 20 yrs ago, like it is now.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum