Mallard Full Bodies vs Shells

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Mallard Full Bodies vs Shells

Postby Trent_Rivers » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:21 pm

I hunt in a flooded field and I want a little more realism. Shells are cheaper for the quantity you get but full bodies provide that extra size. What is yalls experience with this type of situation
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Re: Mallard Full Bodies vs Shells

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Trent_Rivers wrote:I hunt in a flooded field and I want a little more realism. Shells are cheaper for the quantity you get but full bodies provide that extra size. What is yalls experience with this type of situation

How deep is the flooded field?

GHG Mallard shells are the exact same size as a GHG Mallard FB. Actually, the shells are a FB cut to 5/8 of the size. I run GHG shells. The downside is the stakes. Takes a little longer for setup, but you can find a dozen shipped online for around $103-106 shipped. A lot cheaper than FBs. Roger's sometimes has the GHG Black Duck shells for $79.99.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:15 pm

The field is no deeper then 7-8 inches of water. With shells I can get twice as many for the same price. I just was not sure if the shells had the same pulling power as full bodies. Whats does your decoy spread look like anyone?
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:32 am

Trent_Rivers wrote:The field is no deeper then 7-8 inches of water. With shells I can get twice as many for the same price. I just was not sure if the shells had the same pulling power as full bodies. Whats does your decoy spread look like anyone?

Stakes are 18". Therefore, using them in your particular flooded field will not be a problem. You are correct. IMO, shells are the way to go. Shells are the FBs. They will have the same pulling power. They have an extremely realistic paint scheme. A good 5 m.p.h wind or more will make them move on the stake. My field duck decoy spread consists of eight dozen GHG Mallard shells, two dozen GHG Black Duck shells, five dozen Deadly Decoy Mallard headless wind socks, up to ten spinners, 12' vortex and a five position homemade Mallard Tree. Now, I don't run all of it at once. It all depends on my mood usually and wind speed. Self setup isn't always easy.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Yeah I am only in the beginning stages of building a spread so I have a lot of money to put in on down the road. Have you ever ran snow goose decoys with mallard decoys? I know canadas and mallards can be a good thing but I also read that snows sometimes deter ducks. I ask this because I have 5 canadian goose decoys while I only ever see snows on the rest area where I hunt.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:24 pm

We do not get Snows in my area. Very rarely are they killed. Click the link. You tell me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimabramwi ... 064148703/
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:19 am

Well that sums that up. Guess who is headed to the store for some flat white spraypaint... thanks for your time man.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:39 am

No problem. Glad I can help. Anymore questions feel free to post up.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Trent_Rivers wrote:Yeah I am only in the beginning stages of building a spread so I have a lot of money to put in on down the road. Have you ever ran snow goose decoys with mallard decoys? I know canadas and mallards can be a good thing but I also read that snows sometimes deter ducks. I ask this because I have 5 canadian goose decoys while I only ever see snows on the rest area where I hunt.

I've never known snow goose decoys to deter ducks. At least not in my area. As a rule we usually shoot more ducks in our snow goose decoys than geese.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Good information. Now I just need to start putting some money in on some snow decoys although i might go with some silo socks since they are alot cheaper. At this particular NWR no one runs snow goose decoys and I feel this could give me a major advantage visibility wise over other spreads. Im also planning to incorporate some coot decoys and some shovelers. I want to have a radically different spread than everyone else.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum