Best floating mallard duck decoys for the money?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Best floating mallard duck decoys for the money?

Postby Huntman27 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:23 am

I haven't done any duck hunting over water but am looking into it. Could you give me some recommendations on what mallard decoys are best for the money? I'm not hoping to spend a lot but looking for decoys that will last a couple years. I was looking at the Dakota x tremes that were on sale but not sure I like the hens. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Huntman27
hunter

Re: Best floating mallard duck decoys for the money?

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:44 am

Everyone rags on GHG, especially the hotbuys. I purchased 2 dozen hotbuys last year and hunted over them probably 30 days. There are some small paint chips but nothing I could notice from more than 10 feet away. You can get them for $30-35 and spray a clear coat over them to help protect the paint. For about $100 you could have 3 dozen decoys that will last several years. These aren't the best ones on the market but they look good in my opinion and you said you wanted something fairly inexpensive to last a couple seasons, go with hotbuys and save some money and in 2 or 3 seasons get the Dakotas or some of the other high dollar decoys if you think you need them. The hotbuys makes great fillers too. Then you have a couple dozen high qaulity deke's and a bunch of hotbuys to fill in gaps. This is my plan, hunt over my hotbuys one more season and next summer get some dakots, touch up the hotbuys and boom, ready to go. Hope this helps.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby OSDaisyCutter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 am

Storm Fronts
On the Lanyard:
Black Acrylic RNT MVP
Ivory Acrylic RNT Daisy Cutter
Black Acrylic RNT Warbird
Haydel's MP-90 Whistle
Dog Whistle
-Aaron Schneider
OSDaisyCutter
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:19 am

Cableas has Fa gunner Mallards on sale right now for 39.99 for a 6 pack their normally 59.99 their on sale till Sept.22 . 80.00 dollars a doz is pretty good for magnum sized decoys. and even though some of the paint reviews on line were kind of low I couldn't scratch paint off of them as easily as i could with the ghgs. But for life size deeks Avery hot hots buy are good.
olt d2
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum