info on building decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

info on building decoys

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm

I would like to give this a try just once, I think I'll really enjoy it whether it be foamers or wood. I have a buddy that builds wood hand grips and makes small furniture, I plan on picking his mind but until then...

I'm curious what are the BARE bones to making one duck decoy? I understand certain tools make it easier, but I would like to just borrow most of the stuff first to give it a go. So what tools, supplies, plans, etc... :huh:

Thanks guys
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Re: info on building decoys

Postby slayer73 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:41 pm

I am just starting myself but I have a dedicated shop and full of wood working tools. I guess if you had a coping saw, dremel, drill and some bits, sanding block and paper, rasp or 2 you should be able to get it done. Go to Working decoys forum and check it out...great instructions there
slayer73
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:20 pm

If you aren't wanting to put any money into tools yet I would start with foamers. They can be done completely with cheap hand tools.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Workingdecoys.net and read everything in the wood and foam carving forums. I mean everything! Start with foam which can be handled with a hack saw, a rasp, and sand paper. Then progress to wood if that is the route you choose. Keep an eye out here I am working on mounting eyes in a large spread of cast foam decoys and should be posting pictures by Monday of the new flock. I have my second batch of EPS that should be in this week to cast the rest of the deeks I need.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Willy McDonald at the duckblind is a wealth of knowledge. Give him a ring and he'll line you up and answer any question you have. Super nice guy.

http://www.theduckblind.com/
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 am

my first foam decoy was made with a fillet knife and 80 grit sandpaper, then burlapped. The standard process you see most places, I used a wood head until a friend of mine came up with the idea for the sandwich head, that allowed for far less issues of balance. There is a lot of information online at dedoutdoors and decoynutz about making foamer decoys.

go from this
to this.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Man, thanks for all the info guys. I'm looking into it.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum