Crab pot bouy bluebill

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Crab pot bouy bluebill

Postby Ringneck » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 am

Took the plunge this summer and tried my hand at a crab pot bouy bird. Was definately different than working with cork and wood but wasn't too bad. The only issue I am having now it getting the tail to ride flat to water because it rides so high. I didn't take that into account :rolleyes:

The body is all bouy, the head and tail insert are tupalo, and it is painted in acrylics (no airbrush).

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Re: Crab pot bouy bluebill

Postby vahunter2469 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:32 am

Man that thing is awesome. I've been wanting to give that a shot. I'm sure I can't make it that realistic!
vahunter2469
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:58 am

Great looking decoy !!

As always the feather detail is awesome, love the comb technique !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby ducks_onthe_brain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:29 am

MassDecoyCarver wrote:Great looking decoy !!

What's the comb technique is that how ya get the feather look on the back
ducks_onthe_brain
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 pm

ducks_onthe_brain wrote:

That's how I get that vermiculation look on the back. I use Golden Matte acrylics in the jar. They are about the consistency of sour cream so I don't need to use molding paste. I just lay on a thicker layer and run a paint comb through it being sure to clean the comb after each pass. Easy process and looks good on some birds.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby kbooger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:20 pm

That's one pissed off bluebill!
kbooger
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Wow. Beautiful decoy :eek: :clapping:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby ducks_onthe_brain » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 am

Ringneck wrote:
ducks_onthe_brain wrote:

That's how I get that vermiculation look on the back. I use Golden Matte acrylics in the jar. They are about the consistency of sour cream so I don't need to use molding paste. I just lay on a thicker layer and run a paint comb through it being sure to clean the comb after each pass. Easy process and looks good on some birds.

I've seen that on several decoys and never been able to figure it out, thanks for the info. Is the a specific type of paint comb that is better than the rest or do they all work the same.

Sorry to hijack your post love the decoy it looks awesome, I love the pissed off look.
ducks_onthe_brain
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 am

No reason to apologize for hijacking. Threads have a life of their own and different subjects come up and change just like a conversation.

I've got an old set that an older carver (passed away now) made for me several years ago. This set that Willy carries are very similar and will give the same look.

http://www.theduckblind.com/miscellaneo ... ion_Combs_

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby ducks_onthe_brain » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Sweet I'll have to get me some, I'm just gettin into carving and painting my own decoys so something to add to my tools. How long is the body on your decoy and how wide I'm having a hard time finding a pattern for a diver body.
ducks_onthe_brain
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:06 pm

This one is roughly 14 inches long and 7.5 inches wide....I think. Been a while since I drew it. It's enlarged from my "lifesize" pattern.

Check with Willy at the Duckblind if you decide to get a comb from him. He has a new package that has a pattern, reference pics and I think a paint scheme also. Pretty sure he has some diver patterns in those packages. It's a new product so not a lot of guys know about it yet. Really nice.

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum