2 decoy questions

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

2 decoy questions

Postby Take em boys » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:57 pm

1st question is...

Getting back into duck hunting after about a 3 year goose hunting break Had all my duck decoys ripped off 2 years ago :mad: so starting fresh heres my thinking Im hunting lakes that all have a big marsh on one end im gonna shoot for 4 dozen total thinking 2 dozen mallards 1 dozen odd balls (Woodies pintails widgeons ect) and 1 dozen feeders sleepers ect so my first question is with the butts and sleepers if a duck is close enough to be like oh hey look at that one is sleeping or hey that one has its butt up eating shouldn't they be full of #2 shot by then??? do they work or are they a sell gimmick??

2nd question is in conjunction with the 4 dozen I plan on at least 2 (baby mojo pack or lucky duck) motion decoys Im hunting about 5 miles away from a VERY heavily hunted lake im trying to hunt the outskirts to ovide dealing with the BS hunters I was also thinking of adding some kind of water splashing decoy as well or should I stay with the mojo's???

Thank you for any input

Colton
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: 2 decoy questions

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:51 pm

for #2 I would say stay away from mojo's and any sort or the such since you will be hunting heavily hunted areas.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Re: 2 decoy questions

Postby olt d2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:38 am

I think your on the right track with what you thinking for decoys. I personally own Mallards, Black ducks,Gadwalls, Pintails, Teal and woodies. I start out running the Mallards. Gadwalls, teal and woodies and as the season goes on and birds move out I change out the spread. I'll pull the woodies then next filter out the teal and replace them with black duck and pintails. I also own about a doz and a half sleepers and use them when I hunt areas that birds use as rest spots or when its really cold out. It cant hurt to own a pair of spinners but the second birds start skirting your spread pull them. and switch to a jerk cord if you need movement in your spread.
olt d2
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum