GHG decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

GHG decoys

Postby m3500 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:50 pm

All this complaining about ghg duck decoys is ridicules, I swear people just get board and decide to complain about them cause their what everyone else complains about. I mean sure the paint will chip, but so will every single decoy on the market if you put them threw what most hunters put their gear threw and is a duck gonna see those small chips and imperfections no, real ducks all look alittle different. For ME ghg is the best decoy for my money so there not that hard to replace when the get old. Do put my decoys in slotted bags yes, but I would put any other decoy in a slotted bag if it wasn't a ghg decoy. Plus no other decoy company has the head style that ghg does, is that mostly for the hunter yes but I think sometimes those different head positions help decoy those weary seasoned birds. Does anyone else agree with me?
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Re: GHG decoys

Postby olt d2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:24 am

GHG's are very nice looking birds that I will agree with. I bought a whole spread of Pro grades when they came out and ran them up till this year. I did like them, but you do have to baby them and they need to be put in slotted bags. They are not for Texas rigs or regular decoy bags where they will grid against each other. Are scratches a big deal no, but i have had some ghg flack after a few hunts and that is a big deal. I also bought four new pro grade butts this year and out of the box they had paint rubbed of from rubbing in the box. I could also scratch the paint off them with just flicking them with my finger nail. So would I recommend ghg< yes I would. But know that you are going to have to treat them nicer then some other brands. they are also a prime candidate for clear coating.
olt d2
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 am

The best GHG I have I bought 8 years ago. They were the standard hotbuys. I lost a ton of them when the bag blew out of the back of the truck and onto the freeway. The few I managed to grab had no loss of paint after they slided across gravel and bounced around at 85 mph. Today, GHG's decoys are chipped right out of the box. After the first season, 60% of the paint is gone. All of mine were repainted into divers with bedliner spray and acrylic paint. This method of paint has been far more durable for me than new GHG's. To me, buying decoys that loose paint at that price is rediculous. I use around 9 dozen decoys on average each hunt and sometimes more. I connot afford 10 or 12 slotted bags and fit them in the boat. I bought 4 or 5 dozen standard flambeau mallards last year and can't be happier. They hold their paint a little better, and they are only $20-$25 a dozen and not $80. And the ducks couldn't tell the difference between flambeaus and GHG's. 3 dozen decoys for $80 that hold paint longer is better than $80 for a dozen that cannot. Again, that's just my opinion.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:52 am

I have GHG mallards and Bluebill deeks. The mallards are in slotted bags and all 3 dozen Bluebills are in one large bag (non-slotted).

For whatever reason, the Bluebill paint seems a lot more durable than the mallards.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:00 am

I run almost exclusively GHG and beat the hell out of them texas rigs, regular decoy bags and jam them all into a sedan to fit as many as I can. I have 4 year old wood duck decoys that look almost new. The mallards and teal I have tend to have a few paint problems but at the start of the season and in the middle I touch them up with some flat black and they are good to go. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for some reasonably priced decoys.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 pm

I have ghg ring necks. Best decoys I own. Durable and realistic.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Of all the brands we run (GHG, G&H, higdon, flambeau, carry lite, and tangle free) the only paint worse than the GHG is the carry lite.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Return to Duck Decoy Forum