Wood duck

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Wood duck

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 am

My first attempt at a wood duck. Other than going cross eyed trying to paint it I cant wait to make another. White cedar painted in oils.
Attachments
wood duck 5.jpg
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Re: Wood duck

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:19 am

If you are not too happy with the results of this one, I'd buy it! That would look great next to my mount. I like how the white line above its eye was painted with detail. It looks like feathers rather than just a line. NICE!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:47 am

It looks Great ! Nice job on the wing and tail carving !!
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks Jr and Mass.

Mass that tail is to me is the best Ive done. Hard to tell in that pic but the underside is carved hollow. I got it as thin as I could without it chunking off as it was a pain to carve in the cross grain.
Attachments
wood duck 10.jpg
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:37 am

That picture shows it much better. Tough job for sure, hope it isn't too fragile when you hunt it...
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:31 am

Its still pretty strong. The main problem was the grain change a 1/2" from the base of the tail. Made it interesting.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm diggin' it :thumbsup:
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum