G&H drakes $49.95

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

G&H drakes $49.95

Postby BDC » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 am

G&H standard stationary Mallard Drakes in 6 packs: $49.95 !!!!!

http://www.ghdecoys.com/products/Standa ... Drake.html

BDC
DHC Sponsor

Re: G&H drakes $49.95

Postby carsonsig » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 pm

I am looking to put together a solid dozen for refuge walk in. Are these good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
carsonsig
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:10 pm

As durable as the henriettan is, for $100 a dozen I can think of another brand I'd rather have.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby carsonsig » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Such as...? [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

carsonsig
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:46 am

carsonsig wrote:Such as...? [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

I'd start with a foam filled higdon. Clearly durability is what you're after. If it was realism the G&H missed the mark twenty years ago. The design and paint on the higdon are more realistic. Add to that the durability that the foam gives you and you've got a winner.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby BuckCreek » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:08 am

I agree with Byers why g&h hasn't figured something out to make their deks look better is beyond me. You can get Dakota's for 140 doz at Rogers defiantly well worth the extra money.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:19 am

I personally love GH Decoys for their quality!
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:57 pm

The quality of their decoys has never been in question. We have some that we've been running for the last 30 years. In their heyday they were great looking also, but times have changed. There are clearly better looking decoys out there. Some of which I believe equal or exceed their quality. When you take into account the decoys on the market that can be punctured and still float, the choice becomes clear.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Chet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:16 pm

I do like the fact that G&H decoys are made in the USA. Most of the other blow-molded plastics are made in China these days.

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:34 pm

BuckCreek wrote:I agree with Byers why g&h hasn't figured something out to make their deks look better is beyond me. You can get Dakota's for 140 doz at Rogers defiantly well worth the extra money.

Because they don't need them to look better. The majority of modern decoys have far more detail than is visible at distances over about 30 feet.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:16 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:
BuckCreek wrote:I agree with Byers why g&h hasn't figured something out to make their deks look better is beyond me. You can get Dakota's for 140 doz at Rogers defiantly well worth the extra money.

Because they don't need them to look better. The majority of modern decoys have far more detail than is visible at distances over about 30 feet.

Clearly they do need them to look better. What is the main knock against G&H? It's their goofy appearance. You can use that excuse about detail all you want, but it's just that. For me, I want want the highest quality and most realism. Simply satisfying one of those criteria won't cut it.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:35 pm

In reality most decoy makers are concerned with fooling the hunter instead of the ducks. And they have gotten that done very well!

Then again the vast majority of these companies produce a product that lasts far less than required by hunters!

G H Decoys on the other hand has focused on quality products! And keeping American Made!

I applaud their efforts!
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:12 pm

I'll sell you these G&H for $80 a doz. Only used 5 times.

BBK
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:15 pm

I fee like it's less about the paint detail and more about the different silhouettes. GHG seems to be the best as far as producing realistic postures. I've never looked at ducks on the water and seen all of them in the same exact position. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:54 pm

But in reality clubs buy truck loads of G H decoys, and kill tons of birds over them! Regardless of posturing, they literally buy semi trucks full of the decoys!

And they do it because the decoys last!

I also realize that gentleman had an issue after what he says is 5 uses. But as a dealer of numerous decoys lines, I can tell you this happens to every decoy line occasionally. Though by my experiences, it is very very rare.

Just my thought
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby greenster » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Doesn't matter what a decoy looks like to a point. I'll go pro some mallard action over trash bags on a stick for you guys this year
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:03 pm

MuddyTwelveGauge wrote:In reality most decoy makers are concerned with fooling the hunter instead of the ducks. And they have gotten that done very well!

Then again the vast majority of these companies produce a product that lasts far less than required by hunters!

G H Decoys on the other hand has focused on quality products! And keeping American Made!

I applaud their efforts!

So in the past three and a half decades G&H couldn't come up with at least one advancement in design? That's pretty shocking considering for years they were the highest priced decoy on the market. No one here has argued that they are tough. Hell I've got some old flambeaus that are just as tough as my old G&H, and they didn't cost nearly as much. Let's not forget that not all clubs buy truckloads of G&H. This one doesn't, and won't. For the price point of the G&H I can buy a foam filled Higdon and have a modern decoy with modern paint. I will also have a tougher decoy than the G&H, as I have never had a G&H stand up to being shot. As for the poster with the pic of the G&H losing paint, well he's not the only one that has had them lose paint early in their life span. Everyone who defends G&H is quick to point out that they are tough, and that ducks can't see detail. That's BS. I care what they "might" be able to see. If I didn't I wouldn't be doing my job. I also refuse to spend $2000 a year on decoys that haven't changed in a lifetime.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Crazy Matt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Dakotas trump.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:07 am

Byers,

My intention is not to disagree with you, but simply to share my experiences.

I realize you buy Dakota's, and man I can tell you Dakota Decoy makes a stellar product people love! Heck I'm selling over a pallet every couple days of their mallards and pintail. And I'm probably the lowest price on the net for them, especially since all of our decoys can be discounted 10 percent with the coupon code DECOY

And Matt I know you love them! Heck they should be very proud to have you on their pro staff. Because your a knowledgable hunter, and a friendly person! Not to mention you do a great job on this forum!

All I can speak from is my experiences, and from the club prospective the vast majority of my sales have been G H Decoys. From the California Rice Fields to the Texas Pan back up to Arkansas. The overwhelming majority of clubs I've sold to requested G H Decoys.

I've heard numerous reasons why, and durability/American made seem to be the theme! I even had a club in CA tell me," I'm just replacing the last batch I bought in the 80's."

Not trying to argue brother, just sharing my experiences!
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:13 am

Just so everyone know's my interests here, I've never put a dakota in the water. That will change soon. I'm far from brand loyal, as I own GHG, Redhead, Flambeau, Dakota, Higdon, Carry Lite, Tangle Free, and G&H. I just found your claim that clubs buy G&H to imply that they were the only decoy "that the pro's" use. Also, do you realize how many decoys can fit in a 40' van trailer? I know how many I store in our shipping container, and I wouldn't run out and buy all of them at once.
I don't think we were arguing, everyone here was voicing their opinion. Mine is that there are several quality decoys available at that price point. I understand that you sell decoys here, and I'm sure that G&H is one of your best sellers. Neither of those change the fact that the #1 complaint on G&H is the appearance. That's my only knock on them. I appreciate your participation in this thread, and your sponsorship here. If it weren't for sponsors this community wouldn't be a place where we can come and discuss these things.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

G&H drakes $49.95

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 am

Your 100 percent right, there are definitely lots of quality decoys at that price point! I agree also, there are tons of clubs that buy others!

For instance I recently had a club in Arkansas order a pallet of Dakota's, and they are gonna love them!

I also agree that there could be changes made to the overall look of G H, and that would be a positive step forward!

I was just voicing the current trend in seeing in purchasing!

I've seen your website, and your club looks awesome! And I have no doubts that you have a ton of experience, and I have heard nothing but awesome experiences from customers of yours!

Thank you for being a sponsor also!
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 am

I've got a dozen G&H that I bought USED in the late 80s. They look far better that the one pictured. I have touched them up but only to "brighten" the colors. A couple were shot pretty well (not by me) but were patched and float good without leaking. I shoot just as many ducks over those as the GHG and other brands I have. I would note that they float much better on "heavy" water than many of the other brands do and some decoys even make noise and bounce in heavy waves where the G&H decoys don't. I like the realism of other decoys and do like looking out over a "pretty" spread as much as anyone else but experience is telling me it is overkill..........at least in my area........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum