Adding some diversity of my spread

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Adding some diversity of my spread

Postby rnloutdoors » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:34 pm

This will be my first year hunting on my own. I have about two dozen mallards, where I hunt which is on a smaller river and i always see wood ducks. I have a half a dozen of woodies but i have no idea how to set them out. somebody told me if there is no brush or cover don't put them out. I don't know if this is true but any help will be appreciated
rnloutdoors
hunter

Re: Adding some diversity of my spread

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:40 pm

I hunt a river area that varies in size from 100ft accross to only a few feet. We shoot a lot of wood ducks with only mallard decoys. That being said, I did buy a half dozen wood duck dekes for this season. They can be mixed with the mallards or set aside on their own. Whomever told you the brush or cover rule is wrong. We shoot plenty in open water river spreads with grass banks and sparse brush on the banks. They are not landing in brush, they are landing in water. We also jump shoot from a canoe along the river and find them in all kinds of environments.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 pm

I ussualy tuck my wood duck decoys back in the brush or close to shore. Im not a big fan of mixing mallard amd wood duck decoys together. Just doesnt look natural.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Ignore my post, the pro staff has spoken. :bow:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Baymen Moe :yes: :yes: :yes:
Woodies are pretty crazy ducks and not really known to decoy that well unless you are experienced with calling them and even then it seems they just do what they want.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:21 am

Trent_Rivers wrote:Baymen Moe :yes: :yes: :yes:
Woodies are pretty crazy ducks and not really known to decoy that well unless you are experienced with calling them and even then it seems they just do what they want.

So I guess all the wood ducks I've taken in my mallard spread over the many years I've been hunting have been doing what they want. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:54 am

I hunt a sm creek for woodies maybe 20 yards wide at the most. There is no pass shooting wood ducks on this creek because of over hanging trees. You just don't see them long enough. So I decoy them with great success. I put 5 woodie decoys upstream maybe 20 yds and 5 sm mallard decoys downstream maybe 20 yds. Not in the middle of the creek.A little squealing. The woodies almost always land between the set decoys. Right in front of me, get my limit every year no problem.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah I have never creek hunted for them. I know in flooded timber those things are wild. Getting down in the thickest tree cover they can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Boatman wrote:I decoy them with great success. The woodies almost always land between the set decoys. Right in front of me, get my limit every year no problem.

:thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby rnloutdoors » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Everything helps
rnloutdoors
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum