Drakes to hens

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Drakes to hens

Postby the head » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:21 pm

Know this is probably an old question but i got to know. when setting mallard dekes. how should they be arranged when it comes to sex. should the be sort of paired drake and hen within the groups. or just randomly placed. also should there be the same number of each in a spread?
the head
Newb

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:23 pm

I don't really think it matters when I set them up. When I hunt in a field I like to us a few more drakes because they show up a little bit better on the ground.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:48 pm

All it is, is a opinion. Some say pair them up, some say use a variety, heck who knows. Do what you want, play around with what set up you like and see what works best for you. :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby the head » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:35 pm

thanks fellas. guess i'll just wing it and see what works.
the head
Newb

Postby donell67 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:00 pm

with puddles i run half and half. try to not get a bunch of the same together. drakes and hens mixed up. but it probly isnt that important.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:01 am

I had one dozen more hens then I did drakes for most of the season (company will remain nameless so I don't pi$$ people off), and we killed more ducks this year than ever before. 2 years ago I had one dozen more drake decoys thanks to paint problems (different company), and killed ducks everytime I went out. I don't think it matters. When our season opened earlier last year all we took were hens dekes and we killed plenty of ducks. Again, I don't think it matters one bit.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:52 pm

Last year we put out all drakes once just for fun. We had just as good of luck with that as with a good mix. :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:24 pm

I go about 3-1 drakes ...I use smaller settups however. Y'all have a nice :thumbsup: day
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby had » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:06 pm

i once noticed mallards on water with all the drakes together and hens spread out and feeding. so if im in a feeding situation i will set up some of the drakes together not all. but i always set up the hens spread out with one by herself.

had
had
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum