Duck Hunting Forum banner

GHG 60/40 snaplock keel=GARBAGE!

8K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  Robberwood 
#1 ·
Today I got 6 life size wood duck decoys from GHG with the snaplock keels. What a joke. The first one went in with a little gentle love from a 2x4. The second one would not even start, the plastic on the decoy had moved in tight so it would not even start to go in. It is pretty cold here, in the 20s so I thought maybe if I used a hairdrier it would soften up and go in.

Well after an hour, a hammer, a 2x4, a heat gun and a VISE I was able to put the snaplock in a vise, and slam the decoy into it nothing short of completely putting all of my 280lb self on it. This is the last GHG product I think I will buy period. I think I will rip the GHG logo off my shotshell belt, I don't want to advertise at all for them. I guess the positive note is at least they probably won't fall off like some said? I think I will throw some glue in just to be sure.

KSwaterfowler and I were talking about GHGs second rate products today and I said I don't think I will ever buy anymore snaplock products, well after this mess today I am done with GHG. KS- you are the man. I wish we would have had that chat last week. Typical products for China craftsmanship. I guess I really shouldn't complain, how good can a 12 year old really work right?

Ok, there is my rant. My advise, save your money and buy G&H or some other decoy that you can pull out of the box and use. Not haved to waste your time, blood and sweat over. If these decoys give me any trouble tomorrow I will post a close up of a bunch of GHG decoys getting sacrificed....

See less See more
#6 ·
I love GHG decoys and hunting gear. NEVER had a problem with any of my GHG or Avery stuff. My decoys look awesome and have had no paint problems. They have excellent customer service. You should give em a call and see if they can help you. Why waist all that time and energy when you could possibly get them replaced? Just my opinion.

#7 ·
quackkiller said:
I love GHG decoys and hunting gear. NEVER had a problem with any of my GHG or Avery stuff. My decoys look awesome and have had no paint problems. They have excellent customer service. You should give em a call and see if they can help you. Why waist all that time and energy when you could possibly get them replaced? Just my opinion.
I have some lifesized mallards that didn't last 8 trips. Lots of paint missing. When I told GHG the problem they told me to screw off and take better care of my equipment. My buddy has a dozen that did the same thing. THe hotbuys are the best decoy for the money on the market today. After that, G&H are the best.

Why the heck do you put snaplock keels on Wood duck and bluebill decoys? So you can use them in the field? Avery is so full of themselves. There Prostaffers that I have ran into are all jerks with the exception of one. They think that they are god and everyone should worship them. I told them what I thought of the shoddy worksmanship and they told me to ask Santa how to hunt. Then they proceeded to attack me and rip down my credibility piece by piece (on the Avery message boards). They made the wrong comments to trip my trigger is all I will say about that. I made no attacks personally on them, but the made attacks on me. How classy is that?

My Power Hunter also went back. Worst $150 mistake I ever made. I am spending the extra money and getting a real blind made by a good company, Final Approach. If you are thinking about getting a power hunter just buy a camo sleeping bag and spend $10 to make you a little flip top. Same thing.

As you can tell I have a strong dislike for Avery now. I liked their products until I got them and actually used them. They are made for the weekend waterfowler, not somebody who spends 5-6 days a week in the field.

By the way, I cannot speak for their goose decoys since I have never used them. I am sticking with my foots after what Avery did to me.

#9 ·
I agree, snaplock keels on bluebills......come on. After seeing all the dislike towards avery, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go under in the years to come. Why would anyone buy them you ask...the price, you can't beat it. Most guys look at the decoys, and think they look pretty good and they do, don't get me wrong, the decoys are the most detailed deks on the market, but when you put them through REAL hunting conditions, the deks give in. Here it is......NO MORE GHG FOR ME!!!!!

#12 ·
Talked to a Sporting GOods store owner when I was in another town taking my EMT boards (will remain nameless so no reprocussions on his part). He said they will no longer carry Avery Products. He said they don't really give a damn. They think they are god and don't mess with them. Kinda echos everyone elses sentiments. Oh yeah, there were about 2000 BIG canadas feeding in the milo field behind the store. I wanted to get a pic of them flying over the store since it is like a mini cabelas. Didn't feel like getting hit by traffic though. Would've been an awesome pic.

#13 ·
98Ram - I too have had similar problems with all of my GHG dekes. Currently i have in my bag: 1dzn hotbuy mallards, 1 dzn lifesize mallards, and i dzn widgeon (2 six packs). with the exception of the hotbuys which come with the keels attached, i have had to fight with each and every one and in most cases utilizing most of the tools in my garage to put them dang keels on.

Now, having said that. i still don't regret my purchase. The extra 30 to 45 minutes spent attaching the keels still puts me far ahead of the game when compared to spending 80 bucks for a dzn G&H. I will not argue that G&H builds a superior product in terms of ease of use nor durability. But you just can't beat a dzn GHG's for 30 bucks.

btw...i also share the opinion that avery staffers are a bunch of over opinionated, self absorbed A-holes.

#14 ·
Swamp Puppy said:
98Ram - I too have had similar problems with all of my GHG dekes. Currently i have in my bag: 1dzn hotbuy mallards, 1 dzn lifesize mallards, and i dzn widgeon (2 six packs). with the exception of the hotbuys which come with the keels attached, i have had to fight with each and every one and in most cases utilizing most of the tools in my garage to put them dang keels on.

Now, having said that. i still don't regret my purchase. The extra 30 to 45 minutes spent attaching the keels still puts me far ahead of the game when compared to spending 80 bucks for a dzn G&H. I will not argue that G&H builds a superior product in terms of ease of use nor durability. But you just can't beat a dzn GHG's for 30 bucks.

btw...i also share the opinion that avery staffers are a bunch of over opinionated, self absorbed A-holes.
I agree with price, but it is gonna cost you more in the long run. All of my GHG lifesizes will have to be reapinted after this year (didn't make it through half a season). That is another $30 at least. You are up to $60, not to mention my time I have to spend painting decoys and what not. Pretty soon I am up to $80. Kinda depends on how you look at it. That is they way I look at it.

#15 ·
When you say $30, you cannot get a dozen lifesize for $30. The hotbuys are a good value decoy. mine have held up well. So far I have not had any more problems with the life size decoys after putting the keels on. I have only hunted them twice though.

I think there is about two dozen G&H supermags calling my name....

#16 ·
My GHG have served me well, never had any problems what so ever.... But whatever floats your boat I guess. My spread is allmost all GHG now, never had a problem yet like I said. My keels where not easy going in, but once in they don't come back out. I've left a few with out keels for field or ice situations.... but I for GHG.

Decoys are allmost like vehicles everyone has there own opinion!
happy hunting...

Mallyard

#19 ·
I'm with Mallyard. I have had no problems with mine and I am hopefully going to have my whole spread GHG in the future. It's just a matter of personal preference. Just like duck calls, we could all sit here and argue for the rest of our lives about what the best duck call is and never accomplish anything. It's the same with guns, boats, whatever it is. It's just a matter of your own opinion. Some hate GHG and some swear by it. It's unfortunate that you guys have had problems with GHG, but that's life and not everything can be perfect. Just my .02 cents. :salude:

#23 ·
My GHG snaplock dekes are in fine condition and haven't had any problems since they arrived at my doorstep. Assembling the snaplocks to the dekes were as easy as tying my shoes. I highly doubt any 12 yr old Chinese children had anything to do with the production of your dekes. Do you really need to put the blame on being "made in China?" I am all for "made in U.S.A." My made in USA products have failed me more times than once and the quality of some other things lying around the house made is USA, I would imagine a mentally retarded person was involded with the production. But that's besides the point. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with GHG.

#24 ·
what do you concider fine condition? How many times have you used them? How many times a year do you hunt? Do you hunt 40-50 times a year?

I am glad you have had better luck with your decoys, but I am guessing the guys who have good luck with them don't use them as much as others who have problems with them. I think theres a reason you don't see guides running these things....

#25 ·
"Fine condition", they still look practically new. They've been battered like a good-for-nothing drunk's wife. I hunt a minimum of 3 days per week and that is all season long. GHG aren't the only decoys I own I would rate the GHG #3 on my top 10 decoys. #1 blackwater. #2 G&H. #3 GHG Atleast on my deoy list, that's all I have experience with and what I own. Believe me, they've been through extremely harsh conditions and elements. I'm satisfied with mine. I own a Ford Excursion and my wife is blonde. Maybe yours is a Chevy and she's a brunette? Who knows...whatever works for Jonny doesn't mean it works for Jimmy.

#26 ·
dodge and a brunette...

Dont get me wrong duckydoo, I didn't mean to say you don't hunt. I have had great luck with my hotbuys and will continue to use them. Another guy I hunt with (fishnranger) had a few crack on him the first hunt. I think maybe GHG decoys just aren't very consistant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.